A Question

Discussion in 'Fireworks Forum Chat And Discussion' started by K9Girl, Jun 12, 2018.

1. K9Girl

K9Girl Batteries not included Supports UKFR

I'm hoping to do some fireworks for a birthday this Friday, I dont want it too late, but if I did them at 9pm it will still be pretty light, will they look ok, I dont want to waste them?

Your thoughts team?

:chair:

2. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete UKFR Editor

I think waiting until 9:30 or 9:45 would help a lot, fireworks in twilight usually look OK to my eyes, but 9pm could still be sunny. Cloud would help you out, as would having your spectators looking east. Sunset isn’t till 9:20.

3. K9Girl

Thanks Pete

4. hofnerite

hofnerite Supports UKFR

I agree that 21:30 would be fine, even better if cloudy.
    :huvideo: @K9Girl

5. K9Girl

The weather looks cloudy so thats a bonus! ;)

hofnerite likes this.
  6. paul s

paul s Supports UKFR

This is a difficult time of year; many a time I've found myself sitting in a field praying for cloud cover or some dark sky. Just the opposite of BFN tbh.

Late twilight is often better than dark imo, but you could be looking at close on 10.00 at the moment.

SALUTES!!!!.....???

7. danielpyronutter

danielpyronutter Supports UKFR

I was on a display on Saturday and agree with 09:30

8. drummer73

drummer73 Supports UKFR

I did some for a 50th birthday a week ago and 21:45 was perfect.

9. dogsbody

dogsbody Pro Firer/Crew

Agree 9.45 at the earliest (and that may be too light) it will need to be a judgement call on the day.

10. As Pete said It's very dependent on which way you're facing too, if it's dull and you're facing east just after 9 would be fine, clear and facing the sunset and it could be nearer 10.

Jon likes this.
  11. Jon

Jon Pro Firer/Crew

What about firing inside and close the curtains? Oh silly me, of course you can't.....9:30 should be ok ;)

danielpyronutter likes this.
  12. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete UKFR Editor

9pm now and cloudy here and still very light.

13. Jon

Jon Pro Firer/Crew

9:30 nearly and it is surprisingy light here....

14. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

Soon be the longest day......... nights start pulling in, awesome, earlier firing times:)

15. 9:45pm, overcast and still a little light left here, but I would have said 9:30pm would be ok.

And rain hopefully. Never before have I actually wanted it to rain for a fireworks display to help dampen the area!

16. gareth71

gareth71 Pro Firer/Crew

Your location within the UK can also make a difference - there's more than half an hour's difference in sunset times between the northernmost areas of the UK and the southernmost.

paul s likes this.
  17. Arthur

Arthur Pro Firer/Crew

when I did a summer display, 30mins after sunset was far too light, 45mins after sunset was better, 60mins after sunset was OK.

18. trueblue_ips

trueblue_ips Supports UKFR

You have masses of land @K9Girl and no neighbours to worry about still?
    Fire as late as you can I would say unscientifically.
    I'm always late firing. If I say 7pm to my audience it's nearly 8pm by the time I"m actually ready to start. people aren't that fussed though.

19. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Before "lighting up time" was changed to sunset you used to be able to legally drive up to half an hour after sunset without turning your lights on.

20. RocketRev

RocketRev Moderator Supports UKFR

Up where I am (Manchester), sunset this Friday isn't until 9:39 and civil twilight lasts until 10:32. So if the sky's clear, 9.45 would be too early. Even 10pm would most likely be too early.

That's why I don't do fireworks for my own birthday - which is this Saturday. I've got a church primary school with pre-school department, too. So it wouldn't be wise for me, as Vicar and a Governor of the school, to be disturbing the sleeping youngsters with late evening fireworks! For those who aren't in my position, be thankful!