2. I need a bigger biscuit tin!

AtomFireworks and TONYB like this.
  3. AtomFireworks

AtomFireworks Pro Firer/Crew

I need to upgrate mine too, this 20ft iso isnt cutting the mustard anymore

hofnerite likes this.
  4. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

Richard Briers...the voice on the safety video...is now also dead !!

5. Lovely stuff, 1978 the year I was born lol, love that commercial, seen it before, not an ounce of that annoying crackle rubbish we get today in a lot of this Chinese stuff.

6. The Darling Buds Of May - Pop Larkin with bangers etc (watch from 32 mins)

7. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

heres an old film over from 1910 .....

8. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

and some 70s standard being fired

9. Richard Lane

Those. Images are great Tony...in partic the 2 larger sized Standard Rockets...typical,of the type ..terrific lift and a somewhat disappointing burst.
    I've always felt that the load was too small for the power of the motor drive on these rockets ...if the same loads were put on less powerful drivers ...meaning less altitude...they would be nearer to the spectator and the burst effect would be apparently larger.
    Those larger sized Standard Rockets were ..I've always thought ...were the epitome of the great pyro designs of those years....now sadly missed with all these hideous plastic versions prevalent nowadays...Ho hum!

Jamie Thornton likes this.
  10. Found this video on you tube, was amazed as I've often wondered what the larger standard rockets were like, in my youth I only saw the pink and blue dome cap size 3s and 4s of the 80s, though they were awesome, loved them, the characteristic swoosh they had, bet those large ones were quite noisy at close proximity.

11. Richard Lane

Jamie ..I remember when I was a wee laddie going into newsagents...sweet shops..sports emporia...all the usual outlets and ogling those Large Standard Rockets.....this was in the 50's....always loved them ...and they take pride of place in my collection to this day!

12. Yeah same here Richard, I only dreamt of having those large standard rockets, remember seeing them in the shops and I yes I happily own a standard size 20 red and snowflake stars rocket, the largest in the standard range in my collection which I treasure, will post a pic of it tomorrow.

13. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

i remember the days back whenever the standard chain of stars rocket was fired in our local area
    all us youngsters would give chase and try to be the first to get the parachute...

scoops likes this.
  14. Seen chain of stars ones, only ever seen one come up for sale that kev once got, think it was a dummy one, would love one complete for the collection.

15. Richard Lane

Tony...yep..absolutely

16. Richard Lane

Jamie...if you like I'll upload from my collection some Standard whoppers tomorrow......?

17. Golden Zodiac

Golden Zodiac Supports UKFR

Interesting to see the long delay between the lift and the starbursts on those rockets. Much longer than the modern versions. Richard, yes the loads were probably very light but I gather that they wanted to ensure they rose as high as possible before showing the effect. And, of course, there was no question of opening them more strongly because of safety considerations. So nice to see these after many years. Just how I remember them.

18. Here is my standard whopper as promised, I also have the original size 20 stick which when completed it measures around 4ft long.

Attached Files:

Sparkler, TONYB and Peter Mackett like this.