DisneyWorld (florida) Fireworks

Discussion in 'Fireworks Forum Chat And Discussion' started by SteveMatthews, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Hey! does anyone know anyone on the inside at DisneyWorld?? Ive been trying to get a backstage view of the firework setup at disney world now for the last 2 years. I can never find any information for a direct contact. Their customer services always say "you can go on these tours but we dont tour fireworks"

2. One of the guys on here went to work for them for 6 months I believe but can't remember who it was.

I've tried before and got pretty close to sorting something out but they're pretty tight on it.

Will be trying my luck again this year

3. Arthur

Arthur Pro Firer/Crew

It's Disney, anyone who knows cannot say without company approval, it's how they work, and it seems to keep the business ticking over!

There was once a (magazine?) article about the air firing but not "how Disney do fireworks"

4. wireworks

wireworks Supports UKFR

5. You might have already seen it but I believe this is a pic of the launch site
    [​IMG]

6. Jon

Jon Pro Firer/Crew

It's interesting how much longer the CO2 tubes need to be? Or am I missing something?

7. Just for clarification, air launch is only used at disney in California NOT in Florida.

8. Charlie

Charlie Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Above pic at Disney California, google maps 33.816390, -117.919855

9. Megabusa

Megabusa Pro Firer/Crew

We managed to get pretty close without being challenged in Florida.

We drove in through the employees entrance which is near the university & made our way to Floridian Way where the launch site is. We parked in a small car park that was about 100 yards or so from the launch site. You get a much better view from there !

As Firework Crazy pointed out, they use conventional shells in Florida, not air launch.

10. cooperman435

cooperman435 Pro Firer/Crew

I think the longer tubes help with pneumatic launching yeah but also for accuracy as they look to be carefully angled to very small increments.

11. You were lucky then megabusa, as security is pretty hot. They don't even let you stop on the road and watch where they put the road blocks in place.

12. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

Cuz I think they get the occasional shell land in the road:rolleyes:

13. Megabusa

Megabusa Pro Firer/Crew

I'm not even sure if we were supposed to be there or not. It looks like a public road but is surrounded by Disney property. At no point did I have to 'blag' my way past anyone. It just felt like we were not supposed to be there .....

The road itself runs right past the shell site, I could see road blocks at showtime but found a car park at the side of some buildings that got us pretty close.

This would be about 4 years ago.

14. smudger69

smudger69 Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Maybe I've been spoiled working for @Gala Fireworks but I found the Disney display a little boring. It tells a story which is good but there was nothing spectacular going on. And some of the timings were way off. Just a personal opinion of course.

15. PDC Fireworks

PDC Fireworks Pro Firer/Crew

Disney learnt a long time ago how to do as little as possible pyro while still making a massive show. now most of the pyro nutters here will probably use more pyro in a small November show than Disney do in one show but Disney do up to 2 firework shows per night per park so they need to keep the budget down. its one of the reasons they use lasers, projections and story lines.

when i do multimedia shows its quite surprising how you can turn a 15 min show into only 11 min of pyro (saving 4 min of pyro is a lot of saving.) personally i love multimedia shows. if you do it right you connect the audience to the show. its like using a romantic song in a wedding show which the bride and groom first met. they connect to your pyromusical. I so love it when they cry lol.

Anyone can throw up lots of shells but it take a lot skill to throw up as little as possible and still get a massive applause at the end.

Ozzieuk, Firework Crazy and scoops like this.
  16. scoops

scoops Pro Firer/Crew

:goodpost:and very true, less can be more!

17. Bung

Bung Pro Firer/Crew

You need to get in contact with Bob Chapek and do this via the Corporate headquarters. Someone is sure to assist here: https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/contact-us/

18. smudger69

smudger69 Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

I wasn't suggesting for one minute that they need to fill the sky with shells.
    Far from it.
    But...only the finale burst above the castle. All the other shells burst behind the castle and so a huge amount of the effect was lost. The shells we fired in pairs all straight up with no angles at. The shells they were using had some brilliant burst effects that were just getting lost in each other.
    The single shot sequences were out of time with the narrative.
    So all in all I found it disappointing.

They will always get a positive reaction from the audience. That's just the nature of what they do. I don't see that being a good enough reason to put on a half hearted display.
    As I said in my original post....perhaps we are spoiled by being around the professional industry and knowing what goes into a display makes us (me at least) more judgmental.

The display I watched was at magic kingdom. I'll be watching the epcot one later I think. I believe that is the one that uses lasers etc.

I don't for one second feel for Disney on there budgets. Disney is a huge money making machine. Nothing is cheap when you get there. But in the case of the fireworks I found the quality of the delivery very cheap.

PDC Fireworks likes this.
  19. Ozzieuk

Ozzieuk Pro Firer/Crew

[QUOTE="PDC Fireworks, post: 373300, member: 642]

when i do multimedia shows its personally i love multimedia shows. if you do it right you connect the audience to the show.

Anyone can throw up lots of shells but it take a lot skill to throw up as little as possible and still get a massive applause at the end.[/QUOTE]

I think as audiences get educated with regards to flames lasers and moving heads etc if we get the opportunity and budget to do it we need to start incorporating it in some shows.
    Weddings are ideal.
    Obviously a well designed pure pyro display is top of the list but I believe if you sit back and think your competition isn't going to do it or try it your mistaken.
    Also a lot more controllers are being built with dmx or midi interfaces which makes integration possible.

PDC Fireworks likes this.