EARLY STANDARD ROCKETS

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Clarenicky, May 2, 2018.

1. there three nice old uns ,

Firefiend and Clarenicky like this.
  2. Jamie Thornton

Jamie Thornton Supports UKFR

Proper rockets.

Firefiend, Sparkler and Clarenicky like this.
  3. 6d for a Sky Rocket, i never remember them being that cheap!, something special about the old Standard Rockets, glad i still have some.

4. Very nice. First time I've them wth the phrase "The Standard" written at the top of the label.

5. Jamie Thornton

Standard size 20 snow flake and red stars sky rocket from the 1980s prior to the 1988 regulations.

Attached Files:

6. I have two of them.

7. danielpyronutter

danielpyronutter Supports UKFR

Fire em, fire em, fire em :D

8. abigman

abigman Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

by todays standards they are probably shite ?

standard steve likes this.
  9. I don’t judge historical memorabilia fireworks or otherwise by today’s standards. I’m happy with the shite, thanks

10. danielpyronutter

Lol, just info I think mate, don't take offence

11. Jamie Thornton

Getting a few disrespectful people coming here just lately, if you can't post anything positive then keep your opinions to yourself.

Thanks.

Locky Smith and fozzboy like this.
  12. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Sadly some people will never understand the magic of blue touchpaper era fireworks... Letting them off was just one aspect of a lengthy process which for some included the huge anticipation of the Guy Fawkes Night sales period; acquiring a collection of carefully selected fireworks where some of the tiniest ones could hold as much significance as the largest available at the time; getting up to all sorts of childish mischief with them at a time when most normal people would not have thought the end of the world had come if they heard the occasional banger go off or rocket go up in advance of the night itself; the fun of preparing a simple garden display including friends, family, bonfires, guys, food and drink, etc; letting them off including a carefully chosen grand finale..... and that's before you even consider the fun of clearing up the following day with all those empty cases which on occasions have survived and today provided us with the only known examples of certain fireworks. Crazy as it might sound to some, I'd rather watch a tiny 2d Magic Torch go off than £100 SIB....
    Astra Fireworks - Magic Torch.jpg

13. Jamie Thornton

The items shown on here are of nostalgic and historical interest and not for people to come on this forum of the modern era stuff and compare them to modern day stuff especially those not of this magical era of old blue touch paper fireworks.

14. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

I'm with you on this Martin, looking back I think it was the expectation that built all through the summer months knowing that fireworks were soon to be on sale again and all that entailed. I think it was that fact of there only being that very short window of availability that made it such a thrill when in our case October arrived..... half term week was always spent on local farm doing spud picking, that along with Penny for the Guy provided whatever money would be available for my fireworks.......... surprising as this might seem most of my spend went on bangers.............
    Whist it drove me mad that there was such a big gap between each selling season there was no way I could have afforded to have fireworks at any time of the year. struggled to build the funds up as it was...........
    I guess if you never lived through that period you will never fully understand why so many of us older collectors wax lyrical about the old days...... they were great fun, we were allowed to have freedom to enjoy ourselves and as young boys we were expected to be mischievious and local village copper was always there to stop the worst that we could do...... it made us kids and not criminals ..........

15. danielpyronutter

I would just like to see some of this old pyro fired as I missed out on these old UK made fireworks.

Would just like to experience it is all as it looks quite interesting

Firefiend likes this.
  16. Very well said Martin!

There was magic in the air back in the 60's and the 70's, and not just with pyro either. Unlike nowadays......

I think a lot of the new pyro looks shite anyway, there's nowhere near the creativity with modern labels, tho' I know there's some.

Kev what you needed was a shop, located within a half a mile of your Gran's, that sold bangers all year round :p:D

Jamie Thornton and Firefiend like this.
  17. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

This is an example of one which was picked up after a garden display in the 1950s by a friend of mine, sadly no longer with us. I've never seen another example of it but I'm sure someone will prove there is another!
    Pain's Fireworks - Dizzle Dazzle.jpg

Richard Lane, Escht and Peter Mackett like this.
  18. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

No I definately didn't, I couldn't have afforded it, at least with just being available for a few short weeks in Autumn I had a chance to take part........ it would have killed me knowing they were available all year but I couldn't afford to buy any..........

19. Theres a strange thing , I still cant afford old fireworks from when I was a lad ! lol.

Sparkler and Firefiend like this.