Firing Systems - Overkill? (Quick question)

Discussion in 'Firing Systems And Fusing Fireworks' started by deans6571, Nov 7, 2016.

1. You would have 2 igniters, that goes to each cake. Then you would either connect them in series or in parallel.
    [​IMG]

Current would pass through both igniters, igniting them at the same time.

deans6571 and Fawke Handles like this.
  2. I never thought of series wiring. Is there much difference?

3. I won't go much into details, but there have been several topics about it. Series v Parallel in search of this forum.
    In short:
    Series if you want to check continuity, if you have a break in your loop, you loose all of your igniters.
    Parallel if you are not too fussy about continuity check. If you have a break in your loop, only effected igniters will not work, all others will fire as usual.

Most people use series arrangement, however, there are ways you can combine series and parallel.

Fawke Handles likes this.
  4. Jon_Randall

Jon_Randall Pro Firer/Crew

-Deleted- Wireless Pyro beat me to it.

5. I've hand fired but remote firring is now prefered. Ok it adds the fear of something not firring but care setting up eliminates 99% of this.

The biggest headache can be setting up as connecting all the wires takes time (a lot of time). So either allow plenty of time or get extra others involved to help.

It was reassuring on Sunday night as I fired my garden display to watch with everyone and just press a button well away from the action.

6. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

....ah, right, that explains it - thanks (where's that Kudos button when we need it!!!).

7. Arthur

Arthur Pro Firer/Crew

For a home user of fireworks, there is a lot of benefit to be had from a firing system especially that you actually see the fireworks that you are firing. HOWEVER do consider a system with replaceable batteries, it's hard to remember to recharge the batteries in the rest of the year when you are not using the system. Sealed Lead Acid and LiPo batteries fail if they stay flat for long, Dry batteries start to leak (even if they say leakproof!) over a year but you can take the batteries out and the firing modules all stay good for next year.

deans6571 likes this.
  8. Badger_B

Badger_B Supports UKFR

I've used simple firing systems for a number of years but this year I upgraded to a @Wireless Pyro Solutions Hobby any tiny system with mote and my goodness this adds a hiuge dimension to this hobby. I used the free pyroignitioncontrol software to fire precisely to the beat of the music with 100% ignition from e-match and talons for non time critical stuff.

This really has added a new dimension to this hobby and would recomment to anyone.

I don't miss hand firing at all, watching my creation automatically unfold in front of me is far more exciting!

9. Andy Dighton

Andy Dighton Supports UKFR

Agree. Plus I feel safer.

10. I really fancy getting myself a WPS Hobby. 24 scriptable cues for an RRP of £269 seems like great value (my Rhinofire Step 13 sequencer retails at almost the same price).

I find myself confused at the options though. Is it necessary to buy the acid battery, for example? Or does it come with a battery already? And what are the trigger options? Do I have to buy a £250 WPS Mote? :eek:

11. You can either buy lead acid battery and it will be installed inside the case, or use any external battery (12-24V) you prefer.
    Standard WPS hobby price doesn't include internal battery.
    You can either use WPS mote as trigger or external trigger, however, you would still need WPS mote to transfer the script over to WPS hobby. Once that is done, it can be used as standalone unit - start script with delay or start from external trigger.
    Just plain WPS hobby (without remote) will only allow you to fire it via external trigger in stepper mode (one cue after another on each ET pulse).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  12. Oh... That puts a different slant on it. Bit out of my price range then if the Mote is required. Is there no way to programme a sequence or script directly into the Hobby? I'll be honest the description on your website read like the hobby could run a script out of the box, so to speak.

13. Noted and rephrased. Thank you.

Fawke Handles likes this.
  14. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

Apologies for playing devils advocate here but I can't help but think that with any electrical firing system of any sought, surely, you would be increasing the risk of a piece of pyro, not firing, by a huge amount, than if you were hand firing, no? More wires, equipment, etc, would equal more things which could malfunction?

15. After researching systems last year I (for a number of reasons) went with the Firestorm system by easypyro. I considered the Kingdom, Cobra (probably second on my list) and Firetek and WPS were either not available or I just didn't know about them at the time. However, other factors also made me choose Firestorm.

Whilst my basic system cost just over £500 for a TX1 and RX18 is definately in the considered purchase, the expandability is key... I doubt I would ever need to fire nearly 1000 individual cues but the abilty to do so is there !!

Had Easypyro not arrived with the firestrom I would have almost certianly picked Cobra which is very similar in spec and price (however the controller just seems too busy with lights and buttons) although that does add functionality (ease of firring cues in any order). However, I do like the simplicity of the Firestorm TX1. The option to move to scrpited shows is possible for a price much like Cobra. I guess this is where WPS and FireTek which iirc support scrpited shows as standard.

Last year was definately training and I made a few mistakes. Patience and care this year insured all my cues firred. It is certianly true and should be considerd that remote firring will speed up a show and therefore will eat through pyro quickly. However, even when hand lighting I would try to elimate any pauses so this doesn't really affect me.

16. I fired over 60 cakes and 150 rockets, in 4 volleys, from 11 different positions on a flat roof using a 12 cue firing system.

Using visco fuse links (3mm visco burns at circa 1cm per second and fast visco at 10cm p/s) I time cakes together in set pieces. I also do the same with the rockets using the fast fuse.

The most ematches I have fired from a single cue is 11.

It takes an age to plan and fuse but I love it :)

Andy Dighton and Drrusty like this.
  17. Not overkill at all!! I've got 1 x 32 Cue, 2 x 12 cue and 1 x 6 cue for my garden! While I don't necessarily use every cue on each unit, all units are used together. Love it, although I hate the set up (/ quite enjoy it!!)

Drrusty likes this.
  18. markt1967

markt1967 Supports UKFR

Now that has just got to be the "Typo Of The Year", surely? @RocketRev

Pyro Pete, Jon, K9Girl and 1 other person like this.
  19. :oops::oops::oops:woops! Thats stuff****

K9Girl likes this.
  20. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

Not really. A decent system will fire all your ignitors every time. Saying complexity adds a higher chance of malfunction is a bit like saying walking is better than driving as it's simpler.

One of the big advantages of scripted (auto ) firing your own shows is that you can stand back and watch/enjoy them.

Series vs parallel - hen using identical ignotors, series is the way to go - it requires much less current. When using mixed ignitors, parallel ensures they all go off, or you'll get one go before the others and break the circuit. As said, series also allows continuity check. In parallel you will miss an open (dead) ignitor when testing.