For anyone considering leaving their collection to a museum..

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Escht, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Whilst looking through a military munitions collectors forum I came across this............ no idea who or what Bonnex is but this info. had been posted only this month on 1st Feb.
    In case no one knows IWM is Imperial War Museum........

" I was mortified to hear from Bonnex that the IWM collection of military use fireworks has been disposed of . I remember that collection displayed in the 1950's & it was a magnificent , colourful display & included examples by all the main manufacturers including Pain's , Brock , Wessex & others . So sad these important historical artifacts should be deemed unimportant in the 21st century . I assume empty display versions of fireworks are considered a bit non PC these days...... "

I did a check of IWM online and only firework ref I could find was for various bomb simulators made by Pains, Standard and Hammonds but no pictures.... certainly no firework items....

2. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

thanks for that info kev ...i certainly wont be leaving any british pyro items to any museum ....bunch of criminals

standard steve likes this.
  3. Pyro Ed

Pyro Ed Pro Firer/Crew

Clearly everyone is much more sensible just leaving their classic pyro in the sensible and most capable hands of me!!!

4. Charlie

Charlie Pro Firer/Crew

I know bonnex, I'm a moderator on the site you were looking at. This has come up a few times with ordnance collections and seems to do with who is curator at the time and what they are personally interested in. When one moves on and another takes over what was once a prized collection is considered trash and gets replaced by the new curators pride of joy.

5. RocketRev

RocketRev Moderator Supports UKFR

I can understand that smaller local museums, both in public and private hands, might have to dispose of collections as they run out of storage space - and that the choice of what to keep and what to dispose of is in the hands if the curator in post at that time. But surely an important part of the job of those museums that are designated as our national museums is to keep a comprehensive archive of items? That includes retaining collections and adding to them as items become available. If more storage space is needed, then national museums should get it. Surely national museums shouldn't be getting rid of stuff to make space for new acquisitions or to suit the whims of the curator of the day?

The IWM North is well within artillery range from me and when it opened I remember it being trumpeted as the new branch of an important national museum. So the IWM's not a museum that I'd expect to be disposing of artifacts at all.

6. Arthur

Arthur Pro Firer/Crew

Is the problem LIVES?
    I can see a museum not wanting to ever store live fireworks for the safety of the building and the rest of the collection. but collectors prize lives, so lives get kept.

7. May I add to the museum debate. I had worried that the Victoria and Albert Museum had lost or discarded their firework collection, originally lodged with the Curator of Art and Design (Meg Sweet, who has now left), but, although it was not perfectly straight forward, I have now located it. The V&A are happy to add to the 1930s Standard dummy board which was presented to me and which I passed on to them in February 1993 and to which additions have subsequently been made. They are only interested, for obvious reasons, in dummies and non-live items as well as other memorabilia, but, on speaking to someone there now, there is no intention of selling it off.

Richard Lane and Jamie Thornton like this.
  8. A further point in favour of V&A is that they are digitising their collections so that, eventually, all the firework items will be available to view online.

Richard Lane and Jamie Thornton like this.
  9. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

John..good news about the V&A...the fact they take the retention of their fireworks collection seriously.
    I particularly like the fact they are going to log them digitally.
    All most encouraging.