Garden Offices / Portacabins

Discussion in 'Non-Pyro chat' started by Pyro Pete, Jun 24, 2008.

  1. Pyro Pete

    Pyro Pete UKFR Editor

    Do we have any "shedworkers" here? :D I'm looking at the possibility of a garden office. Wondered if anyone has done this and has any suggestions. So far it seems the choices (for an all year one) are insulated log cabin / shed style things, or at the more expensive end a "proper" garden office though they cost £8k upwards which is too expensive.

    Also you can buy used portacabins on Ebay pretty cheap, these look to give maximum space for the money. But how would I get it in the back garden? Crane? Helicopter? :D

    There HAS to be a way of doing this on the cheap!

    PS. Self build is not an option. And it has to be non-permanent / portable for planning reasons.
  2. I needed a new shed /workshop so went off to the local shed supplier. His office was in one of the sheds they sell and was fully insulated found out that they could insulate it for me for a price ? The guy showed me how they did it and I thought I can save a few £ here.
    What you must get if its wooden is shiplap not crap feather edge look for min 12mm thick, the internal bracing must be 2”/50mm then for insulation use cavity wall insulation i.e. fibreglass or polystyrene sheets you can get them from Wickes , 50mm thick to fit the shed bracing. I used cavity wall insulation. Cover this with hardboard sheets use a stapler to 1st fix then over lap joints with 50mm x 8 or 12mm battening screw this to the shed bracing. Fit plastic secondary glassing sheets to the windows easy to take off in the summer as it will get hot in there. The floor is the week point again get a shiplap floor, then reinforce it with 18mm t&g Moisture Resistant chipboard flooring it must say (P5 Grade) on the board.
    It’s a good idea to treat the inside with a preservative first, if you go to a place that sells sheds you can have the size made to measure its good to get more height on a door

  3. Pyro Pete

    Pyro Pete UKFR Editor

    Thanks Graham.

    I have found out that a crane would cost at least £1500 - £2000.
  4. crazedmonkey

    crazedmonkey Pro Firer/Crew

    Get a lorry to deliver it with a Hi-Ab (crane) on the back!

    This should be fairly cheap. I used to work in a transport office dealing with these sorts of things all the time. Try a company called Hillman Transport - usually a propper Bristolian called Dave will answer the phone! Funny bloke but will certainly point you in the right direction if he can't help you with any of his lorries.

    Their phone number is 01761 490212 and they deliver all over the country.

    Phil :)
  5. RocketRev

    RocketRev Moderator Supports UKFR

    Surely that'll only work if the lorry can get alongside the back garden? They've not got a very long reach or high lift, so even if parked on the front drive / garden, won't be able to reach the length of a house to the back garden or lift a shed / portacabin over a garage etc.

    I saw this when a contractor recently needed a portacabin on site for work at my Church. And when pre-fabricated building units were delivered to my school the other month, a seriously big self propelled crane was needed to give the required reach and height of lift. Of the several thousand homes in my parish, there are only a dozen or so where a Hi-Ab crane could work into the back garden.
  6. crazedmonkey

    crazedmonkey Pro Firer/Crew

    Tis true, but I assumed that Pete living in the middle of nowhere that there would be access to the back of the house!
  7. Pyro Pete

    Pyro Pete UKFR Editor

    Needs to be a BIG crane in this case Phil. I don't think that's an option now due to the cost. It'll have to be something that comes in bits and is assembled.

  8. i may be wrong but as far as i know you have have something as big as a double garage built without planning permission as long as the roof hight isnt over "X" high and the total volume of the build isnt over "X" cube meters or something like that
  9. Andy_P

    Andy_P Pro Firer/Crew

  10. Pyro Pete

    Pyro Pete UKFR Editor

    Very good Andy :)
  11. Be very careful about having a purpose built structure or converted garage in your garden.

    If it is used as an office, or a work (for profit) studio, your local authority could charge you BUSINESS RATES on that part of your property. I have also heard about them trying to charge business rates on a room over a garage when the owner told them it was only used by him in the conduct of his business.

    The other potential problem can arise when you come to selling your home and moving. Those lovely people at HM Revenue and Customs will maintain that, that part of your property isn't your Principle Private Residence and you would be liable to CAPITAL GAINS TAX on a percentage of the profit made on the property sale.

    Make sure you put something in the shed that has nothing to do with business. That way you can demonstrate that the room IS PART of your home, and therefore not liable for Business Rates, and as part of your Principle Private Residence, exempt for Capital Gains Tax.

  12. Pyro Pete

    Pyro Pete UKFR Editor

    Thanks Terry - lots to think about!