Lovely Find - Standard Box

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by spectrum, Jan 21, 2017.

1. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

heres another two standard i have
    WP_20140728_008.jpg WP_20140728_004.jpg WP_20140728_006.jpg WP_20150215_003.jpg WP_20150215_004.jpg

Harlequin and Golden Zodiac like this.
  2. Edge taping

Attached Files:

Richard Lane, Harlequin and TONYB like this.
  3. Lovely box Spectrum, I have these three similar 5/- boxes which might need a new home in the near future.

BOX 5 SHILLING  1.JPG

BOX 5 SHILLING  2.JPG

BOX 5 SHILLINGS 3.jpg

4. Thats how I remember the end of the tubes with the red resin stuff in the 1980s, yes the card discs and paper plugs are earlier.

5. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

IMG_2440.JPG IMG_2441.JPG IMG_2440.JPG IMG_2443.JPG IMG_2442.JPG This is an old old box...early 1950's provenenance ...from a group of these early Standard types shown in the lower photograph.
    It's filled with fireworks from that time ...and a few from late 50's early 60's.
    The one thing I've always admired over years is just how special the artwork is of the Standard 'standard' box lid design.
    It really is a true icon of the period...we've all see it endlessly...but when you look at it in detail it really is exceptional...
    I love to know who was the designer at Standard?![/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  6. [/QUOTE]

I'm curious as to when Standard first used that design. I'd guess it would be in the thirties?

7. THE DESIGN ON THE BOX LID , HIS CALLED CELESTRIAL , IT STARTED IN THE EARLY 1930S,
    HAS DID THE FIREWORK MAN .

8. Richard Lane

Mmmm..I reckon it was first designed somewhere in the late 20's early 30's..it's definitely an Art Deco inspired design ...a style that was conceived around the First World War...and even more popular after that...up till around the 1930's.
    Standard used to employ some of the best designers of the time.....the 'Joys for Boys' Standard poster was by non other than Alfred Leeze...the artist who created the First World War call up poster...'Your country needs you'.".
    So you never know.The design is called Celestial I believe...but who created it....it's a good case fir a bit if research!!

9. Richard Lane

Aaah..Steve...it may have been Leeze who designed it...same sort of time.

10. Beautiful boxes these are chaps, thanks for sharing them. :)

11. LEEZE AS YOU SAY DESIGNED THE VERSTION OF THE INDIAN TYPE FIREWORK MAN , ( JOYS FOR BOYS )
    THEN CAME AS I CALL,( THE GUY FAWKES FIREWORKS MAN ) I DONT KNOW YET IF HE DESIGNED THIS ONE .
    ILL TRY TO FIND OUT, THE THING IS , HE DIDNT SIGN HIS NAME ON THE GUY FAWKES ONE.
    THAT MIGHT NOT MEAN HE DIDNT DO IT THOUGH .
    I NEED TO ASK SOME ONE ABOUT 100 YEARS OLD !

12. RICHARD HAVE YOU GLUED THE BOXES ON YOUR CABINET DOOR ?

13. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

wheres kevin when you need him :D

14. Richard Lane

No Steve...never fear...blu tac ...no damage!

15. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

hi richard
    have you got a pic of your full standard £1.00 box
    thanks

16. Thanks gents. I never knew that the design was called Celestial. Learn something everyday....

17. Richard Lane

Tony..Hi,
    Yes got to photo the £1 box...haven't had time today...do it tomorrow..R:)

18. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Been away most of the day so late to the discussion......... checked out Martins firework advert data and can find a 1937 advert showing the cellestial design , that is the earliest I can see. Makes sense as my display boards only have the earlier design and they are 1935/36.

Attached Files: