News Flash!!

Discussion in 'Firework Events And Displays' started by Locky Smith, Mar 28, 2018.

1. 53" shell being fired in Valletta on 7th June.
    Made by St Catherine's firework factory.

ambientskies, Ozzieuk, Slim and 5 others like this.
  2. hofnerite

hofnerite Supports UKFR

Is this genuine? o_O
    The inside of that tube doesn't exactly look smooth!

3. I think somebody might have a better idea at about 13.00 gmt tomorrow

4. RocketRev

RocketRev Moderator Supports UKFR

I noticed that but wondered about the tube's bung....... All our mortar tubes have bungs at the bottom. Those I've seen in a 16" tube is quite substantial. So I wondered if those internal plates had to to with the bung - maybe the marker for filling with clay or something similar once the tube has been put in the ground? With the shell sitting on its lift charge comfortably above those plates.

5. FB_IMG_1524867634987.jpg
    Not sure if they have made two, or one is a sleeve?. I hope somebody posts some better pictures tomorrow

6. RocketRev

RocketRev Moderator Supports UKFR

Interesting..... Those spiral lines suggest the tube's made of spiral wound material. If they're the same width on both tubes, then that upright one is longer than the length of the horizontal one from the white line to the end near the ladder. So maybe the sleeve idea is right..... the outer tube is filled with bung material to the plates & inner tube sits on plates.... the lower part of the mortar has double wall thickness where the lift gas pressure is highest... as the shell lifts, the gases fill the tube and the pressure reduces, so the top portion of the mortar is OK with just the single wall thickness.

Locky Smith likes this.
  7. Storm Fireworks

Storm Fireworks Pro Firer/Crew

The tube was a chimney at a power station when finished it will be about 20 ft. Tall. Due to the firing site being solid rock it will be above ground and anchored down with straps.
    As for what's being fired from it wait and see.

hofnerite likes this.
  8. Arthur

Arthur Pro Firer/Crew

One tube certainly has it's dimensions stencilled inside. 1400mm x 25mm wall thickness.

Storm Fireworks likes this.
  9. Sorry, I should of arranged your visit for today, the Hamex factory were there on a visit also

10. Storm Fireworks

Met the Hamex contingent at the factory tour yesterday moved to Valletta today ready for tomorrow night preparations well underway

11. Anybody else going out to see it?

12. Storm Fireworks

20180428_150223.jpg Probably having met the man the built it.
    Being weighed this week estimated 600kg.

13. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Is the intention to claim a world record with this shell?

14. Arthur

Arthur Pro Firer/Crew

Here's hoping that one or more videos will be available from youtube linked here.

15. MMmm. Might have to make a trip.

Locky Smith likes this.
  16. FB_IMG_1525884377365.jpg
    The 19" shell in the forefront is for Zejtun in June.
    As to what's behind.......

17. What dates all this Locky?

18. The big one is 7th June as part of V18 (city of culture celebrations), Thursday.
    The 19" is for the feast in Zejtun, I think on the 14th June

blackbat likes this.
  19. 7D257582-FE90-4DB2-A79A-CB56430212DB.jpeg
    Ted is exited

POB's Pyro and Pyro Pete like this.