Pain's and Pains-Wessex Fireworks (Updated)

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Firefiend, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Thanks very much Kev.
    I will certainly give it a go as I doubt some of these fireworks will ever be seen elsewhere. Nice to see my Razzle Dazzle in this brochure. I always suspected it was 1930s from the 1d price. If you could let me have a copy of the complete listing it would make very interesting reading for me. I suspect this is the 1934 price list and Pain's are simply confirming their achievements up to the previous year. I think they did this with the Tattoo Programmes and allowing for printing time it would be the best they could do.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. There’s a picture of the Bengal Burster on there, along with a few others I had like Whirly Twirler and Schneider Trophy Plane

Firefiend likes this.
  3. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Full list below
    pains  list898.jpg

pains  list 2 899.jpg pains  list 3 900.jpg

pains  list 4  901.jpg pains  list 5   902.jpg

pains  list 6    903.jpg

4. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Thanks very much Kevin. The brochure comes out very clearly on my PC and so I hope to be able to add a lot more new or improved images to the collection.

5. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

IMG_4865.JPG IMG_4866.JPG Martin here are a couple more that may be useful...One is the Sonic Fireball..which I'm sure you'll have already and the other two are Jacks in the Box..both pretty rare and unusual ....

TerenceFawkes and Firefiend like this.
  6. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Very nice thanks Richard. Is the Sonic Fireball Pain's Wessex?

Peter Mackett likes this.
  7. Looking at the label then no,it's a Wessex firework,has the old Waeco name on it.

8. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

don't know if you want this in the mix dated Oct 1973
    PAINS WESSEX TIN.jpg

9. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

forgot the Sparklers
    Re-priced 8d pack of 9 at 9d a paccket........... have a couple of them both with same number of sparklers
    PAINS WESSEX  SPARKLERS 9d 245.jpg PAINS WESSEX  SPARKLERS 9D FRONT244.jpg

plus

1' 3d pack of 10 sparklers
    PAINS WESSEX  SPARKLERS 1S 3D242.jpg PAINS WESSEX  SPARKLERS 1S 3D FRONT243.jpg

may have more types, will hunt out all the sparkler packs, there are quite a few to go through...........

10. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

one more pack......
    5 for 4d

PAINS WESSEX  SPARKLERS 4d 246.jpg PAINS WESSEX  SPARKLERS 4d  front247.jpg

11. Richard Lane

Martin....No it's an original Wessex ...

Firefiend likes this.
  12. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Thanks to everyone for the additions. I'll make a start on them tomorrow when I'm home. Richard / Peter... I will stick to Pain's and Pains-Wessex at the moment. Wessex might logically make the next image database if I get around to it. Kevin... I will include the flare as I have included the practice incendiary, plus of course the sparklers.

13. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Hi Kevin
    Just to clarify,are the indoor fireworks shown on the back of the colourful 1939 brochure and the page of writing on the back of the 1934 I. Williamson sheet?

14. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Hi Martin
    Think I went off track a bit..
    I've just checked the image serial numbers and the 1934 picture is on its own and nothing to do with anything else....think it was a ref. pic from when I was hunting out adverts for you.
    The rest are all part of the same thing with the full colour fireworks on front and the indoor stuff .......... it also says by appointment to the late King George V so must be 1936 or later......
    Sorry about that,

I could lie and say it was a test ( which no one spotted ) but it was an error.
    Kev

15. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Thank Kev. Working on it all now :)

16. Richard Lane

Martin..hats off to you for your 'opus'..anything I can do to help..just let me know...
    Kev..enjoyed our chat today ..putting the world to rights ..and thanks for the pyro..and love the aircraft..
    Richard

Firefiend likes this.
  17. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Hi Richard. Thank you. I really love Pain's Fireworks. I lived a few hundred yards from their factory in the 1960s and they were always my favourite make mainly for the artwork rather then any particular excellence of the product itself. I think it would be brilliant to document the fireworks, brochures, boxes and posters, etc., for all makes but think I will content myself with Pain's / Pains-Wessex for the moment. It also helps with a Facebook Group I'm on called Mitcham History were I have already posted a lot of photos to do with the factory, etc.

18. Richard Lane

Martin...like the Pains artwork ..partic the earlier 50/60's style...Dragons Flame..golden rain etc...I agree when the major list is composed it'll be fantastic...book me for a copy when it's done!!:)

Firefiend likes this.
  19. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

I'l be opening up more of my Pain's folders shortly. Think you can download the straight from OneDrive onto your PC :)

20. Pains and Wessex were always my favourites as a child growing up,most shops sold them round here and i think they were the first fireworks i can remember spending my pocket money on,they made some fantastic fireworks and seeing all these again really brings back great memories,i was devastated when they stopped shop sales in 1977 as they had always formed the major part of our bonfire night celebrations,i can still remember all the effects clearly even down to the sequence a Shrapnel Rocket discharged the salutes!,always 5 in these,used to love the Surprise Roman Candle as you always anticipated what the surprise would be!,usually a salute but sometimes a hummer!

Richard Lane and Firefiend like this.