Pyroquip Collapsible Candle Matrix

Discussion in 'Professional Fireworks' started by pyromatt1987, Sep 6, 2017.

1. cooperman435

cooperman435 Pro Firer/Crew

I use pure co2 pub bottles, no rent on the cylinders you simply pay for the first one and return it for a full one at £20, if you don’t replace cylinders multiple times a year it’s far cheaper

2. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

I'll post some pics up next week when the locking bars are fitted. They just push over to collapse.

I'm using fluxed core (gassless) wire, so no little or large bottles. A littel messy but easy to weld.

3. AtomFireworks

AtomFireworks Pro Firer/Crew

How easy does it weld that stuff? Can you post some pics of the welds?

J

Ian Sparky Rose likes this.
  4. I get bottles of Co2 from the local pub

5. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

Bearing in mind this was my first ever practical application of my welder, it was fairly easy. The tricky bit welding the frame together was not blowing through the 1.5mm thick box section. I started to get the hang of it fairly quickly. Correct power (low). Average wire speed. Once that was OK then welding the joins was easy, using two magnetic 90 degree holders.

Welding the mesh was easy ish. Just run along welding each row to the frame, only for a couple of seconds. Then going back on the odd few where either only the frame had taken weld, or only the mesh, and just adding more weld to merge the two.

Ahh. You mean how easy to use gassless. Much easier than gas, but thats because my mini gas regulator is buggered. It welds just like with gas, bit spits a bit more, and leaves a white residue (wipes off easily)

6. SwissTony

SwissTony Pro Firer/Crew

Lot of spatter with flux core wire, it runs a lot hotter to, so thin material is a struggle, but not impossible. It can be quite smokey to.

Definitely prefer argoshield/argon co2 mix compared to Pub gas/Co2.

7. pyrobrit

pyrobrit Pro Firer/Crew

For those looking for a good quality, cheap welder with excellent support. We bought ours from here. Even taught us how to weld with a couple of hours free welding to try out all their welders. Came away with a TIG.

http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/

Ozzieuk, pyromatt1987 and Jon like this.
  8. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

Hmm. Will look at argoshield. Don't want a monthly rental mind you. Rather put down a deposit.

9. pyrobrit

pyrobrit Pro Firer/Crew

I Bought my gas from r-tech welding too. Just ship the empty back and get a new one, only paying for the gas. No monthly rental.

10. SwissTony

SwissTony Pro Firer/Crew

Some companies sell bottles for around 100 quid, no annual rental fee and no time limit, just have to pay the £100 each time you run out.

There are 10litre bottles available for 50 ish, check Yeovil Motor Factors

11. Charlie

Charlie Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

I've got a returnable deposit on my bottle and just pay for the gas on exchange. No yearly rental. Barnet welding supplies.

12. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

Went to my local autofactor and used Hobbyweld gas - bottle of argomix, about upper waist high ("Original size - 9l I think)" £100 all in - inc. £60 deposit. £38 a refil. Regulator and pipes etc ordered online. Be interesting to see how much better gas welding is! Got two more rolls of gasless off Amazon and they weld better than the Wolf wire my Mig came with.

https://www.hobbyweld.co.uk/products/

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  13. SwissTony

SwissTony Pro Firer/Crew

You get what you pay for welding wire wise, majority of stuff is Chinese crap. I use Lincoln electric brand wire, more expensive, but worth it imo.

Don't forget to switch mig welders polarity going from gasless to gas shielded.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  14. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

Done! - cost me around £23 ish a rack inc. paint. I've shown a fairly ok weld, and and one where I blew through :) welded on 4 sides of each corner so perfectly strong enough. Not something I'd do if I didn't have much time, and makes the originals at £70ish plus vat not seem bad, but I enjoyed making them.

[​IMG]IMG_4337 by Roger Donoghue, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_4339 by Roger Donoghue, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_4344 by Roger Donoghue, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_4345 by Roger Donoghue, on Flickr

Jon, Firework Crazy and elmo like this.
  15. Jon

Jon Pro Firer/Crew

I think it's great how many new skills you learn being in the firework trade!