Spacing for pairs of Small & Medium cakes ?

Discussion in 'Fireworks Forum Chat And Discussion' started by matthewl, May 17, 2018.

1. Wondering if people have a view on the best distance for spacing pairs of Small and Medium cakes.
    I’m sure the default answer is "depends on the cake", but would like to hear opinions.
    I’ve seen some threads where people talk about 5-10m, maybe this isn't optimal ?
    On the other hand, too far apart must look patchy. Maybe use these cakes as examples:

Small cake suggestion: Celtic 6Pack
    Medium cake suggestion: Primed Full house (the bigger ones)​

Safety note: This is a discussion on distance between cakes, not the distance between Spectators and cakes

2. I fired 2 banging bananas with a Battle of Midway last year, the BB were about 5m apart and that seemed about right for them :)

SilberWirbel likes this.
  3. hofnerite

hofnerite Supports UKFR

It does depend on the cake and what kind of effect you want. Anything less than about 20m apart will overlap.
    As a finger-in-the-air estimate, I'd say the burst of a 6-Pack cake is 15m ish

4. beeney

beeney Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

i would say ten plus really, failing that fan them out a bit in 3's may be

matthewl likes this.
  5. danielpyronutter

danielpyronutter Supports UKFR

Yes I will be fanning some cakes this Year as only 2 cobra modules

6. paul s

paul s Supports UKFR

Straight up (small/medium) cakes - 10m. I find 5m is too close, and 15/20 can leave too much black sky between.

matthewl likes this.
  7. danielpyronutter

10 metres for 20 mm 1.4g small powder weight.

20 metres for 30mm 1.3g (be aware Jorge 1.4g is as powerful as 1.3g)

matthewl likes this.
  8. danielpyronutter

My plan is
    Celtic 6..............Godzer............... Celtic 6
    .............................BOM.............................
    Celtic 6............rain of fire.............Celtic 6
    ...........................jw2000...........................
    Celtic 6............... rp49er............... Celtic 6
    ........................triple crown.......................

This is the start of the main section preceeded by some mines, fountains, shot tubes and a big wheel and followed by 4 wrecking ball rockets one at a time.

After this will be a crackling section consisting of 8 crackling shanghai bundled in 4s and in a wide V with a sovereign crackle war in the centre.

Followed by 2x splitting comets in a V.

8 colour shanghai crossing.

Angel dust below Horsing around.

Jupiter mine cake below malachite.

Then the end of the low noise punctuated with whistling waves into 2 sovereign mines in a V.

All the celtic 6 cakes are identical pairs and will be placed 3 metres from the centre cake but angled out as much as I can, would like to get as close to 45 degrees as possible.

After the sovereign mines we are into the final leg.

Wenus................... Jw409................. Wenus
    ........................... Big mama...........................
    Jw164.............Klasek Meteor 64........jw164
    China star. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . China star

The China stars will be fired straight after the jw164 as the Meteor has a long duration it should be about right.

............ Jorge exclusive collection 2...............

Jorge
    Terminator..Terminator..Terminator..Terminat

Spread across 30metres.

................... 4x dum bum mini 49.....................
    These will be fused together with the reserve fuses also connected for a faster firing time.

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 7:03 PM
  9. Thanks for feedback. I see firing lists mentioned a lot, but less on setup and spacing. Interesting to read this stuff.

paul s likes this.
  10. IMO you need to be flexible and work with the site and use the natural features. Great to know how many firing sites etc. but it is rare to think you can design a show and have the luxury of how many metres per cake. 'Show up and see what happens'. When firing in multiples it is almost impossible after the initial salvo for cakes to keep to time and so factor that it ... angle away and where already fanned connect into an arch so you know they will not overlap the effect.

11. Jon

Jon Pro Firer/Crew

To add to this I would say most cat3 needs to be at least 25m apart for straight up and if using something like a 30mm fan cake then possible 50ish metres apart as you have the angled bursts, if you don't want any shot to overlap. But then you have to think about spacing, so for the fans working on above that's 25m per side of centre for each cake so you are looking at 100m wide site minimum for bursts alone....