Standard £1 Box

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Richard Lane, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

;)Steve...many apologies ...it was a typo....
    Best,Richard.

2. Being born in 1960 had me growing up as a child in the late 60's when this box was produced.
    I recall being given handheld fireworks on several bonfire nights prior to the year I first was given a Plastic handled Olympic Torch. It is almost certain some of the prior wooden handled items were Standard items. The plastic handle did worry me at the time as even being 8 years old I was concerned as to the plastic melting or burning easily when the old wooden handled seemed a lot safer. The Olympic Torch name was significant to me as that year saw the 1968 Olympic Games and the connection I made back then was that it was introduced that year due to the games being held.
    Whether that connection was correct or not in that they were introduced earlier I cannot be sure about.
    Does anyone recall a firework called Lady Penelope (likely made by Standard) and probably named after the Thunderbirds character from the period of 1969 to 1972?
    My father stated that name for a firework he was lighting for us back then and I recall it being a bit of a dud. The following year a friend was most impressed with a firework called Lady Penelope that he chose to tell us about how good it was.

3. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Can't say I've ever heard of a Lady Penelope firework........... maybe it was his name for a firework that burned pink/red in colour....
    Olympic Torch...... pic below to bring back memories
    olympic torchstandard.jpg

4. ive never heard of any firework called lady penelope , but i have heard of one called parker ! has they where in fashion inthe late 60s .