Very rare WIZARD 5/- Box of fireworks

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Escht, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Probably one of the very first boxes they ever produced.......... had been listed at an auction house but has since been withdrawn from sale .........
    wizard box.jpg

Interesting to me for the earlier version of some Wizard bangers I have in my collection.........except in this box they are crimped ends not plain ends....... plus a few bangers I've not seen before.

Rip Rap, Pyromania, Madfish and 4 others like this.
  2. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

That is absolutely fantastic Kev...what a box...look at and admire the detailing...it's fabulous!

3. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

It would be if I knew where it had gone !
    Someone spooked the auction house about selling it , so they pulled it few days before auction day and not yet been able to track it down, presuming it is long gone...........

4. Richard Lane

Yep..I see the crimped end bangers...got both those but like you they are clay plugged as well...very ineteresting...

5. PyroFanaticPhil

PyroFanaticPhil Supports UKFR

Was this manufactured by who we now today as Sovereign fireworks? Beautiful box!

6. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Hi Richard
    There are 3 bangers in there that you should have as clay bung versions
    Tiny Terror, Devastator and the Block Buster
    wizard tiny terror.jpg wizard devastator.jpg wizard block buster.jpg

7. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Wizard existed from 1949 through to early 60's, so apart from the company name I wouldn't think any connection at all.

8. Richard Lane

Kev your are absolutely right!

9. Last connection I was aware of was a man called Tony Rose - spoke with him years ago when he called about something and described the business and his family connection. He did have a display business back then (20 years ago?) He may have called it Cosmic I reckon but lost the name when Rup Bagha set up as a limited company with the same name - if it wasn't Cosmic it was I recall another company with an identically named counterpart. I worked with an old chap years ago who worked for Wizard when they were up and running - to my shame I never enquired, only remember him talking about Chedburgh and a former airfield as being the location.