2019 latest acquisitions..........

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Escht, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Jamie Thornton

Jamie Thornton Supports UKFR

Yes me too, love the old British blue touch paper sky rockets, I have a few of the large standard sky rockets in my collection and also have one of those large brocks rockets, the slightly later version ones around the same size of those but the size T coded ones, it is the well made uniqueness I love about these old British rockets and the quality is brilliant, nothing comes close with the modern stuff.

2. I did have a length of wood and two staples which i used for years, then i had a piece of pipe and then made a proper launcher out of old wood which has 8 firing positions, last year i made another one using a wooden device i made to take large roman candles years ago and adapted it with the plastic tubes you get with the rockets these days, holds 10 rockets at a time and if they become damaged i can easily remove them and put in another one as i have loads of them!, must agree about the old rockets and old British fireworks in general, there was something special about them you don't get now!

3. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Found at a boot fair....... late 1930's......... one has provided a nice condition replacement for the existing example in my collection.

IMG_9114 (2).JPG

4. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

A car boot sale?

5. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

yes, they were found at a car boot sale...........

6. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

7. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Not by me but by one of a number of people that keep their eyes open for vintage pyro for me.............only 3rd time in over 10 years that something has come from a car boot sale.......... there were just these 2 bangers...

8. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Quite weird that someone has decided to sell them at a carboot off all places. They obviously knew they were worth something otherwise they would have either let them off or binned them...But, they only sold them at a carboot instead of researching into their desirability further. Which is kind of contradictory in a way. What's the most they charged for something like that at a carboot? £1 each tops?

9. I found a few items in a biscuit tin at a boot fair recently at a house clearance stall. They tend to be the best as they seldom check everything properly because if they had they wouldn’t have been able to sell them as the dreaded “Health & Safety “ also applies to sellers at boot fairs now. Unfortunately.

10. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

I know of lots of stuff being sold at car boots that you would think would be sold elsewhere....last year a fellow militaria dealer saw a WW2 Paratrooper Denison smock hanging on a car wing mirror at a car boot........ asked if it was sale, answer yes and £15. That was even on a bad day a £600 combat smock.....it was named and when he did a bit of research it turned out it had been at the battle of Arnhem......... that put it into yet another level on value.
    A lot of people just don't bother, they are either lazy, really don't have the time or can't be bothered to look into what they have......... or even no concept of why any of us would pay any money for a couple of old fireworks.......
    My picker got it at a boot fair, no idea what he paid nor did I ask or even care....... I asked him what he wanted and paid him...... that way next time he sees more vintage pyro it will come my way. ( at least that's the hope ).
    Recently at a postcard fair I noticed a printed letter/message on a stall for £4. A dealer in postcards he had no idea of what he had....... I did because it was in my field of expertise....... it was an original message given out to all troops taking part on D Day and only given to them after 1a.m. on morning of D Day and in the case of the Paratroopers once they had passed the point of no return...... only issued on D Day these messages are very difficult to find and command very high prices, ......... very easy to research on the internet so no reason why that dealer only wanted £4 except he didn't know, or value it any other way...... probably came in with a pile of other items............
    As for wierd.......... weirdest thing I saw about 3 years ago at Newark antiques fair.......... someone had taken the remains of a crashed light aircraft, all there but smashed up..... they had gone to the trouble of loading it on to a trailer, put it out on their patch and put a price on it........presumably in the hope someone walking by would suddenly go..oh I need one of those...... always wondered what went through their minds on that one.....

Certainly at flea markets people just take along boxes full of what looks like crap, as you pick out whatever your little treasure will be they throw a price at you.
    I once was going through a box full of old paperwork and in amongst it all found 3 bangers for the collection........ got them for next to nothing as they didn't even know they were in there and were even more surprised someone wanted to buy them......... it's what makes the hundreds of hours a year that I spend looking so much fun...the unexpected good result that happens sometimes.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Clarenicky likes this.
  11. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Most of the big fairs ban anyone from bringing fireworks on to their sites..... aimed at stopping back of van pyro sales but hits the old stuff found whilst clearing grannies attic etc. Whilst it is still possible to find a few bits it is nothing like it used to be just a few years ago.

Clarenicky likes this.
  12. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

All very interesting. I must get myself along to a fair one Sunday. Thing is, I'm a right hoarder for crap and I fear I may come back with piles of stuff I never needed, will never need and will just be added to my many mountains of similar crap. Though, I do need a big vice for the workshop and some other tools would be nice. I'll ratch through any biscuit tins I come accross too.

13. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Don't take much cash, that way if you do end up with a pile of crap it will have been a cheap pile of crap.........

fozzboy and Tinderbox like this.
  14. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Just bought a collection from another collector.......everything is live.. all boxes are complete, Twinkling Star and Brocks Rainbow boxes are still sealed....... Astra bangers box is a 10 banger box size with mix of Crash, Wham and Thunder bangers.
    Jumping Jack is an Excelsior one..........
    IMG_9204 (2).JPG

Sparkler, hofnerite, Pyro Ed and 4 others like this.
  15. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Ooh, what's in the Astra slecky box?

16. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

17. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Wonderful. Look at all that loose powder in the Brock's box. Looks like aluminium flake.

18. Genie......:cool::p:D

hofnerite likes this.
  19. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

fuff

TerenceFawkes likes this.