2019 latest acquisitions..........

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Escht, Jan 14, 2019.

1. fozzboy

fozzboy Supports UKFR

Hi Peter , I remember them just a tail ... we used to tie them to small Balsa wood planes and launch them lol.. The things we did like that back in the Good old days

Sufjan1986 and Peter Mackett like this.
  2. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

What a great find. Those rockets look fab.

3. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Very rare pre 1952 Phoenix Fireworks
    IMG_9578.JPG

Some Excelsior Fireworks items
    IMG_9576.JPG

4. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Are these from another collection or proper finds?

5. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

not from a collector, old shop stock stored away for years, came from the people that cleared the shop recently

6. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Amazing.

When I was a kid I would ask my paerents to take me to a shop called Winter's. It was owned by a very elderly couple. It was a fancy dress and joke shop and the old bloke used to absolutely love his fireworks. His window display was practically a museum exhibition. Loads of old stuff with pre-decimal prices on, all faded on one side from the number of times they sat in the window. He kept really old posters up behind the counter which were pretty much used as wallpaper and all of this was in the mid 80's so even then these were all collectors items.

He would clear 3/4 of his shop to make way for fireworks sales when it came to October and the range was overwhelming to a small boy. Out of season he would stash pyro all over the place. Upstairs in suitcases and wooden drawers, down in the cellar in metal drums and odd bits tucked away behind the counter out of sight. I would visit out of season with my mam and he would take us both either up or down stairs to show us what he had left over and I would pick bits out. Drawers packed with bangers, dustbins filled with rockets. Allsorts. Selling out of season was obviously a bit illegal but I think he took a shine to me as I was sharing his love of fireworks.

Sadly, they were so elderly I reckon they had passed before I reached my twenties and by the time I was about 16 the council bulldozed that entire street to make way for a new shopping center. I can only wonder at what might have been left behind in Winter's old shop and what would have happened to all those old fireworks he used for his window display...

Method and hofnerite like this.
  7. fozzboy

fozzboy Supports UKFR

What a wonderful story , where was this ? ... I have great memories also , a shop in Windsor called Playmasters .. the old boy there was a pyro addict , we used to ask older boys to go in and buy stuff for us .. then go some where and let it off .. Great Days

8. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

This was in Barrow in Furness. The shop was on Forshaw Street. Home to many different styles of architecture and independant shops. Now buldozed to make way for Portlant Street, a featureless amalgamation of identical terraces where zombies go to buy things they don't need from faceless business chains.

If I only had a time machine. Kev's still using it!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 7:10 PM
    fozzboy likes this.
  9. they have red rino"s up there , at the zoo , I think it was the colour of the mud the rolled in ! lol

10. paul lennon

paul lennon Supports UKFR

Really beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Some of the first firework I remember - and in such good condition!

11. paul lennon

paul lennon Supports UKFR

will any be up on your website for sale?