6"shells out of China

Discussion in 'Professional Fireworks' started by blackbat, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Labour and material costs are always going to be cheaper abroad. Manufacturing hasn't been a level playing field in that, arguably for good reason, we are open to a greater level of scrutiny, regulation and costs with it than our Chinese counterparts. As Ben says, the Maltese seem to be a lot freer / relaxed yet we are supposed to be under the same regulation. If C.E. marking didn't apply I would be gladly manufacturing shells for you. I would celebrate a return to the British Safety Standards System but I don't think it will likely ever happen.

2. Absolutely agree with this. CE marking and the associated costs now, more than anything else, prevent a revival of UK manufacture. The removal of CE for cat4 would, on the other hand, allow new developments and ideas to flourish for those licenced enthusiasts and small businesses who want to keep UK manufacture alive.

Pyromania likes this.
  3. FB_IMG_1575456914784.jpg
    Just been passed

4. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

But those 8" shells are still 1.1G as far as the rest of the world, apart from the USA, is concerned.

5. blackbat

The 6" version:

74436359_10216104804917272_6095040127577358336_n.jpg

argentc and Jake01 like this.
  6. Any test video of the new packing? That is nuts

7. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

Considering how often I've dropped those on the container floor, it's a touch excessive packaging.

pyroplayer likes this.
  8. blackbat

Really? Surely if it's 8" upwards isn't it classified as 1.1G regardless of how it is packed?

9. So is it ht1 or ht3 for storage?

10. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

A lot of money for a shell regardless.

11. blackbat

Ht1 surely

elmo likes this.
  12. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

Unless they are packed in mesh and 1/1 packed

13. blackbat

Is that what Igual are doing? I've never heard of pyromeshed shells :).

14. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

me neither, but surely its the only way?

15. blackbat

They would still have to pass some sort of test though. An 8" shell in a steel container. What could possible go wrong :rolleyes:.

16. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

the normal tests to make mesh comply yes, im not saying thats what they are doing, just an idea

blackbat likes this.
  17. I'm pretty sure our domestic leglislation still applies though? Ie: 200mm+ = 1.1g?

18. StarFW

StarFW Pro Firer/Crew

Hello all... It will be whatever the European competent authority document says it is - certainly as soon as it lands in Europe. Even on the dockside in Europe, it will be whatever the CAD says - which by default would be 1.1G and that won't be accepted. However... if some canny factories in China have been involved in some UN series 6 testing, then a precedent already exists for China test data being accepted for European classifications by some Competent Authorities, and it's entirely possible that with the new mitigatory packaging, you could get genuine test results that indicate 1.3G. After all, this is only one size up from the existing 1.3G shell (7" approx).

When I was in China earlier this year, they definitely felt they'd nailed it with this packaging. I've not seen any test data, but that packaging has to prevent a mass explosion - in other words, it has to prevent every single shell going off simultaneously. I've seen some burn tests on some quite powerful propellants that we don't use in fireworks and it's amazing how effective properly sealed packaging can be at reducing the speed of propagation. It's not the craziest thing I've heard, this might just prevent the communication from one shell to another and prevent a mass detonation, and then according to the Manual of Tests you'd be looking at a 1.2G or 1.3G classification.

19. So just caught up with this thread and spoken to suppliers to get their veiws and basically they say it's imported as 1.1 from China under new packaging for 6" and 7" being 9 per case then once their here they are 1.3 under European guidelines same case new sticker for UK purposes so they're my answers price is same :rolleyes: