Information A guide to lining your shipping container

Discussion in 'Professional Fireworks' started by elmo, Nov 25, 2014.

1. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

Right , here we go
    Please bear in mind that these units are not for firework storage but the principle remains the same
    It will be updated regularly as the units progress :)

image.jpg

This is a standard 20ft high cube unit, but as additional fans, blast vents and personnel doors cut in as it's going to house electrical transformers for a solar farm, but apart from that it's no different from the ones used for storage.

2. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

First thing to fit would be the cieling
    We weld steel tags down the center of the cieling with holes drilled in them to screw the 75x50 cieling support beam to

image.jpg

We use a length of timber to keep it parallel to the floor while it's fixed

3. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

Next make the cieling framework up out side of the unit
    image.jpg

Measure the overall width and length inside the unit to determine the frame size
    Side rails are 50 x 50, cross rails 63x 38
    Set the rails out at 600mm centres to give to edge and center fixings for your ceiling sheets

4. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

Next with help ftom your friends , carry the frame in and offer it up to the already fixed cieling support beam
    We cheat and use some temporary props to take the weight while we position it correctly

image.jpg

Then fix the cieilng cross members to the cieling support beam, we use a paslode framing nailer for all our stud work, but conventional hammer and nails or screws will be sufficient
    Remove the props leaving the roof hanging on the center beam

5. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

Next we insulate the cieling using 40mm celotex sheets, fiberglass is fine , although not as much fun to use above your head :)
    Cut the celotex into strips between the center beam and the outside rail on your cieilng frame
    Thread these strips over the cieling rails and slide along untill the entire cieling is covered
    Joints do not matter as they can be covered using foil tape
    image.jpg

6. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

Then we board the ceiling.
    In our case we are using 4mm white faced ply which is easily kept clean and reflects light well,normal ply is fine which can then be painted,
    We air staple down the edge of the sheets , which will be covered when the walls go up, and use a plastic joining strip where the edges of the sheets but together
    We also use poly top pins down the middle of the sheets to prevent the sheet 'sagging'

image.jpg

Work from the back to the front using your temporary supports to take the strain and give your arms a rest ;)

image.jpg

Masterchief likes this.
  7. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

You are now ready to start building the walls underneath which I will continue with in the next couple of days , probably fri as I have shows weds & thurs ;)
    Any questions so far??

JustinBedford, oldgit and Ozzieuk like this.
  8. Ozzieuk

Ozzieuk Pro Firer/Crew

Well done mate. excelent step by step guide. Can't see anyone having trouble following that if its what they req.

Brett, JustinBedford and elmo like this.
  9. oldgit

oldgit Pro Firer/Crew

When welding the tabs inside the container - does it bugger up the paint protection on the outside?
    If so, can it simply be patched up where it is affected?
    Thanks very much for the tutorial :)

10. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

You do get a litle paint blister outside, in our case the lugs are welded before respray but just touch up the 'burn' with some red oxide or similar :)

11. oldgit

oldgit Pro Firer/Crew

Cheers Elmo

12. Luciano

Luciano Pro Firer/Crew

Red oxide is just a primer and is quite porous. I would use a decent paint on top of that to protect against corrosion.

13. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

Im well aware red oxide is just a primer and was merely suggesting applying that to prevent rust forming
    Quickly :)

14. Madfish

Madfish Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

I expect you will have a perfectly logical reason, :) but why don't you put up the Celotex before the roof frame and hold in place with foil tape - reducing the number of seperate pieces required?

15. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

We have tried that martin , but found it's better to have an air gap above the celotex to the underside of the steel to decrease condensation and increase airflow ,
    You only need 2.5 strips of celotex for each side of the cieling support so there's not many joints to tape anyway , it doesn't have to be a tight fit to the side rails as when the walls are built underneath and insulated, this bridges any cold spots :)

Madfish likes this.
  16. alasdar

alasdar Pro Firer/Crew

@elmo you have my vote for most interesting thread of the year, a real page turner ;) keep up the good work!!!

17. ambientskies

ambientskies Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

No welding needed when I used "Sticks like shit"

18. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

That's all well and good untill the adhesive gives up, either from excessive heat from the sun causing it to become brittle or from the container being moved making the joint break ;)
    I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm just saying whic method we have found to be most effective after lining several hundred

Just a note on these type of adhesives - they are all pretty much the same and all well and good for sticking some dado rail up but for this type of work you should try puraflex
    It's very very effective, does not break down over time and remains flexible :)

pyrobrit likes this.
  19. Signum

Signum Pro Firer/Crew

You put dado rail up .....how very posh ;)

Excellent work @elmo, out of interest, what are the threaded rods coming from the ceiling for.....cable ladder?

20. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

Uni strut mate, for cable trays ;)