Another day, another label...........

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Escht, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

So, to follow on from the Standard label a day thread........... a small collection of mainly Astra and Rainbow labels, enough for the next 6 or 7 weeks if done a label a day......... starts Sunday 14th June........

2. jww

jww Supports UKFR

Astra labels only just second to Std in my view - the old box artwork / colours etc. was for me the best ever - talking about the children with the guy etc. rather than the later rather austere "modern" Astra boxes - which looked like they should contain posh chocolates or expensive shoes rather than pyro...JW.

3. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

Looking forward to that Kev....

4. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Just to set the tone ready for tomorrow
    ASTRA FULL.JPG

5. Done Fettling

Done Fettling Supports UKFR

Looking forward to seeing Astra and Rainbow as i know very little about Astra and nothing at all about Rainbow.

6. Rainbow didn't have an extensive range but they were very good fireworks, i was never an Astra fan as they made mostly fountains and low noise fireworks.

Done Fettling likes this.
  7. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Phwoar..here we go boys!...

8. We had a homework job from Astra pasting banger labels onto the cases.
    I should have kept some!
    I do have some live romans but not retail labelled.

Golden Zodiac and jww like this.
  9. jww

jww Supports UKFR

Always interesting to find out any details of the traditional processes - however straightforward or complex :) - anything you're able to share is appreciated ! J.

10. Richard Lane

I agree with JW.....and if could you post a photo of the unlabelled Romans.....That would be very interesting ..:)

11. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

So it begins, with a classic Astra firework label

ASTRA  FLOWER POT916.jpg

12. Sparkler

Sparkler Supports UKFR

13. Richard Lane

IMG_7500.JPG

Fuzzy blow up shot of a box content....in the middle...sorry it's the one way I can do it byway of the fact that most of my collection is in store for the present (short!) time and I'm having to rely on existing photographs and by isolating and highlighting a section and magnifying it....

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Peter Mackett and Done Fettling like this.
  14. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Interested to know why the corner of label is cut away. Made it easier to apply to the tubes maybe?

15. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

No idea, just checked rest of the Astra labels and there are only 3 more with corners cut like this.

16. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

17. Richard Lane

New to me..!o_O;)

18. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

That's an interesting label. How old you reckon?

19. It’s early 70s, it was a big multi shot version of the single shot Flying Saucer, it fired spinners that made a whooshing sound rather than a hummer. Haven’t seen that effect for years since Black Cat did Silver Spinners or something similar. Don’t know if anything similar is available now.

20. Richard Lane

That's good info Chris...Ta...