Are the little stoppers on cake/shot tubes biodegradable?

Discussion in 'Fireworks Forum Chat And Discussion' started by Grind, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Hopefully the above is self explanatory, the little cardboard looking circular stoppers that sit on top of the explosives and pop out and hit the lawn. Had quite a lot of fireworks this year and there is probably a couple of thousand of these on the lawn. Paper was removed prior to and the cakes are now in the skip, but the lawn is littered - curious if these will degrade over the coming months into spring or if I’ll spend half a day collecting them all if not?

cheers

2. chris 1953

chris 1953 Supports UKFR

will rot in time

Grind likes this.
  3. They’ll break down - I use a broom or a blower on the lawn the day after to neaten things up. Fireworks collide with my other hobby: gardening :D

4. hofnerite

hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

They will biodegrade... but it will take years. I still find them in my garden, despite not firing anything for 4 years!

deans6571, Jon and Grind like this.
  5. WR3_Pyro

WR3_Pyro Supports UKFR

I just go over with the mower lol once they are dry jobs a good un’!

deans6571, nickjee and Grind like this.
  6. Pyrodave1.4

Pyrodave1.4 Pro Firer/Crew

Because on displays after you’ve de-rigged you always do the clean up, clearing up shell cups, bungs etc, we always clear the cardboard discs aswell as they take absolutely ages to degrade so your always better just clearing them up and getting it out the way.

Grind likes this.
  7. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

I rub peanut butter on mine before firing so the squirrels clear them up the following day :p

deans6571, Madfish, blackbat and 3 others like this.
  8. Just use s petrol mower to get them up

deans6571 and Grind like this.
  9. I pick them all up by hand but still keep finding them months later!

deans6571 likes this.
  10. Will do cheers matey

11. When Maidenhead paper mill was operating, we would call in on our way home from a display and deposit all the spent cakes, boxes and wads onto the pile of waste card and paper awaiting processing.

Carefully checked of course for any mis-fires, though these were rare in commercial product.

This would then go into a huge mincing machine and then large pulping vats.

This was In the days before recycling bins and they were glad to receive it. We were told it would be part of a large roll of finished paper by morning.

Thus any card products should be fine to go into your recycling bins.

12. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

What about the clay bungs though?

13. Presume they ended up in the bottom of the slurry pot along with metallic items such as staples or wire.
    If the clay did 'dissolve' it's probable that did not matter as they use clay in papermaking.

The end product was the giant newsprint rolls.

blackbat and zephieish like this.
  14. wont get them all up especially if there a bit wet but enough to stop the misses moaning :p

15. Madfish

Madfish Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Have fun :eek: :(

IMG_1673.jpg

16. Madfish

Madfish Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

If you have kids tell them its £1 for every 100 collected :D

deans6571 and blackbat like this.
  17. GTRpyro

GTRpyro Pro Firer/Crew

Worm food ;)

18. chris 1953