Ashes Shells

Discussion in 'Professional Fireworks' started by Magenta wilde, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Hello,
    I've recently inherited a fireworks business from my father Anthony Lealand who passed away last year. we have a client asking for her husbands ashes to be scattered in a fireworks show. Our company has done it before and i have details for how the shell was made but i cant find any records of what weight each shell could carry. I know ashes can vary in weight considerably and i don't want to overload the shells.
    Last time we used 9 x 6" shells for a woman's ashes and this time will be a mans ashes which usually weigh more. My physics isn't up to these calculations. can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Magenta

2. Wow, there's a first post as an introduction. You actually make them? With cads?, id be interested in buying some if possible.

3. RocketRev

RocketRev Moderator Supports UKFR

As a Vicar, this is a subject that I get asked about often enough, although strangely I've not had to do a pyrotechnic ashes scattering yet. It's also a question that has cropped up on the forum from time to time.

There are companies offering to prepare "self-fire" fireworks - e.g. rockets with a small ashes payload included, or cakes with some ashes in each shot, or mines with ashes added in. There are also companies who offer to do professional displays for the scattering of ashes and I do know that ashes carrying shells are available for use in these. To my mind, using mines with ashes added it is the easiest way to go and will ensure a relatively well controlled ashes scattering zone - keeping the ashes in the display fall out zone. To my mind the use of shells or rockets means less control over where the ashes end up - they could easily be blown to fall all over the spectators! To me, as a Vicar, that's a no-no!

Here's a post from 2012 that mentions shells specially designed for ashes scattering (blind bursting, so need to be incorporated with other shells in a display for visual effect) https://www.fireworks-forum.org.uk/threads/launching-ashes-in-rockets.17905/#post-202458
    So the shells route can be taken and appropriate shells were at least available back then.I don't know if the regulations have changed concerning these. If they haven't, then I suppose it's permissible and within the rules to produce and use shells now.

I don't know what a 6" shell can lift, but an adult's ashes can weigh from around 2Kg up to around 4Kg. Where on that range an individual ends up depends more on the person's bones - size and density - rather than general body weight. If your're going to scatter the whole lot, then that's the sort of payload you've got to provide for.

Chorlton Fireworks likes this.
  4. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

The OP didn't mention it and has not filled in a location in their profile, but from their registration details they're from New Zealand, so different laws may well apply. @Magenta wilde the UK laws are a little restrictive here, hence the responses, but knowing your location now maybe someone can help with just the calculations side that you're asking for.

RocketRev and Chorlton Fireworks like this.
  5. RocketRev

RocketRev Moderator Supports UKFR

@Magenta wilde I looked your father's name up and so have been reading about him and the company with interest.... a fascinating range of work and started by a fascinating pioneering character. I wish you well and every success in following in your father's footsteps.

6. A 6 inch ball shell typically will lift around 1Kg, approximately double that for a cylindrical shell of the same diameter.

Locky Smith, Pyromania and RocketRev like this.