Back to Basics....

Discussion in 'Fireworks Forum Chat And Discussion' started by deans6571, Oct 5, 2020.

1. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

So this year, I am doing a 'back to basics' display!

By this I mean that due to me going round to a friend's for this year's display, I wont have the time to prep for electric firing (which normally takes me the whole day!) as we'll be going round for the display (I'll be taking the pyro) and firing later in the evening, so can't really take my system and wire it all up before hand.

So, I am going back to basics and hand firing using some kind of chef's torch/windproof lighter.

I don't want to do down the route of buying a rothy as its overkill for my needs and the cost for me isn't justified - can anyone therefore recommend a decent windproof lighter then (I have looked on Amazon and there are hundreds so it really is pot luck on the quality of these - some reviews are good but some are absolutely terrible?!!!)?

2. Andy Dighton

Andy Dighton Supports UKFR

I have one similar to this.

deans6571 likes this.
  3. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

....yea, I've seen these types before but from experience, these styled ones (i.e the shape) tend to result in singed thumbs because when you light the viscos, the initial flare up is really close to the trigger of the lighter :

upload_2020-10-5_11-42-31.png

I'm really looking at a design type like a gun whereby the flame of the lighter is at the opposite end of the trigger!

Mog likes this.
  4. Damp Squib

Damp Squib Supports UKFR

Portfires...! back to basics proper, no singed thumbs, wind-proof, guaranteed ignition, cheap as chips:D

5. nickjee

nickjee Supports UKFR

I bought one of these last year. Works great.
    My only issue is that you need to physically turn the valve to turn it off rather than take your finger off the button above (like with a lighter!)

deans6571 likes this.
  6. hofnerite

hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

I'd agree with @Damp Squib - I'd rather use portfires than one of these turboflames. With portfires your hand is nowhere near the visco and the flame illuminates the firework enough to see the visco clearly. No refills needed either.

Rookwood and deans6571 like this.
  7. yeak like @nickjee said ... you need to find one that has instant ignition .... that is that doesn't need you to turn the gas on and off before pressing the ignition each time you want to fire up.

deans6571 likes this.
  8. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Go to any supermarket or household goods store and get a chef's creme brulet torch. Seen them in B&M's too. Brilliant things with a pistol shape design. Way better than a fag lighter.

Rookwood and deans6571 like this.
  9. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

The Range do them too.

deans6571 likes this.
  10. Rookwood and deans6571 like this.
  11. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

Appreciate all the responses - all very helpful.

I would have also gone with portfires (used them before - they are great) however they wont be very practical for me as I think we'll literally be setting up just one or two cakes, staking, taping and then lighting and watching and then setting up the next few so don't really want to waste portfires during the set up between each few cakes (I wont really get any prep time before the actual display).

Will definitely look at one of the options above.

:)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Rookwood and hofnerite like this.
  12. I 'used' to have one, then someone in the house found out that it made a good plumbers torch for microbore copper pipe in tight spaces. :(

13. Torjet lighters are very cheap and will definately do the job

deans6571 likes this.
  14. RocketRev

RocketRev Moderator Supports UKFR

@K9Girl 's link in the 2nd post of that thread is still valid and goes to the Iroda MJ-330 on CPC Farnell's website. I used the earlier model of the same thing, bought from Maplin years ago and it's still in good working order after regular use on fireworks and church candles. It's brilliant at lighting a church load of candles for a candle-lit carol service! Great for setting up a few fireworks in the garden, or enjoying a selection box, setting the fireworks up one at a time over half an hour or so - when burning through portfires doesn't make sense. Press the trigger and it lights and stays lit until you release the trigger - single handed operation and burns gas only when needed.

I carry one as a spare alongside my rothy..... just in case of rothy failure! I've got a rothy and a rothy equivalent, I've got a chef's blow torch. I've I tried and thrown away turbo-jets / turbo-flames and plenty of other similar things besides. The rothy is my go-to for big displays. For everything else, the Iroda is still my go-to lighter.

I've just checked - and you can get them on Amazon, but CPC Farnell looks to be cheaper, unless postage tips the balance differently.

deans6571, Rookwood and K9Girl like this.
  15. K9Girl

K9Girl Tinsel Town Sales Reduction Ambassador Supports UKFR

My Iroda is still going strong, use it for tea lights, wheels and any other pyro that I’m not remote firing :)

deans6571, Rookwood and RocketRev like this.
  16. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

Thanks for the replies above - all very helpful.

I was actually after something a little bit bigger than some of the suggestions given above, so after much hunting on Amazon, decided to go for this (which has all the features I was after - size, shape and most importantly for me, a window to check fuel level, which a lot of these style types don’t actually have) :

DFA760DB-185C-45E3-BCA2-3C46B57C121D.jpeg

:)

Pablos pyro likes this.
  17. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

...apologies for the extra large image - not sure why the forum posts such a huge pic when posting from a mobile device (iPad) ?!

18. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

We like it BIG on UKFR :)

deans6571 likes this.
  19. I got this one a few weeks ago and seems pretty decent for the price mate :D

image.jpg TBTeek Kitchen Blow Torch Refillable Mini Creme Brulee Torch, Cooking Butane Torch with Safety Lock&Adjustable Flame for Cooking, BBQ, Baking, Brulee, Creme, DIY Soldering(Butane Not Included)

deans6571 likes this.