Best Solution

Discussion in 'Firing Systems And Fusing Fireworks' started by PyroNoob, Jan 1, 2021.

1. PyroNoob

PyroNoob Supports UKFR

Hi guys, had an amazing NYE display was eventful. However half my display didn't fire and ruined it. I have one of the cheap 12 cues of ebay and need something more bulky next year like a 48 cue or 2 24 cues but want to know what the cheapest but best solution is for this any help appreciate thank you. Even if someone has something for sale please PM me.

2. Owen93

Owen93 Supports UKFR

I’m new to electronic firing this year and I picked this up in october for my BFN display. It’s a great system with a good number of cues.

9793999E-C4C9-467D-AACF-B6698EDA8CFE.jpeg

Ive only used it 5 times, twice on just a candle and one small cake when I got it. Then used it bfn with 15 cues being used as a good test run. My main display mid November using all 32cues but with 50 ematches using series wiring. Lastly last night with stuff I had left over from bfn. It’s not let me down yet !

It has a test mode which is good as you can check for continuity. Also a small screen to show you your battery level. For the money you can wrong really.

Only down side is that you need a lot of shooting wire to extend ignitors if you have different firing locations like a left and right set up.

PyroNoob likes this.
  3. Jon

Jon Pro Firer/Crew

Have you worked out what caused the misfires?

4. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Failed in what way @PyroNoob as I’m actively researching this to help others starting out in remote firing. For example, what types of igniters and connected to what (visco?). Did the igniters fire OK but fail to set the fuse or firework off?

Cossy and Jon like this.
  5. I was also testing my new system NYE, only 6 cues with a mix of ematch to visco connectors (both types) and four talons. Two of the talons failed to work all the rest worked fine. Put me off talons though.

6. georgehenry

georgehenry Supports UKFR

pyro noob pm for you

PyroNoob likes this.
  7. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

What system specifically @Cossy ? When you say failed to work, did they fire but not light the visco?

8. It was the MS 12 cue. I could see the glow from the talons that failed but didn’t appear to have enough power to light the visco. E matches you obviously get a decent chemical reaction which helps rather than a glow from the talon wire.

PyroNoob and Pyro Pete like this.
  9. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

A glow and no ignition suggests it wasn't compatible with the Talons (particularly if you still have continuity afterwards, which shows the element did not burn out) or your batteries were not up to the job, possibly too cold, but I did think the MS12 was supposed to work with Talons. The problem with ematches and visco is getting the visco to light reliably, as we have been investigating also. I'm on a mission in 2021 to find a fool-proof and 100% reliable set up which is why I am grilling everyone who has failures, to build up a picture of what's going on, and why failures occur :)

Cossy likes this.
  10. It may of been the cold I guess, it was bloody freezing NYE, fresh batteries but left the unit outside for a couple of hours set up in the field before firing.

11. nickjee

nickjee Supports UKFR

@Cossy, I was worried about the cold!!
    My units (the DB40r's) had been left out since 4:30pm, so had over 7 hours sat at 0° or under :eek:.. I was using fresh energizer batteries, that after a quick Google, state that they'll be fully operational between -18° to 55°. I had all 12 of my cues fire 18 matches successfully (thankfully) so, for these units at least, using e matches, I would now happily rule out the cold being an issue.
    I'm sure I read on here once, that talons used on the thinner visco, could sometimes be less reliable??

12. I had failed cues on my own Chinese system, it turned out to be the batterys in the models, I had left an amount of batterys in them in storage and they had drained, I got them mixed up with the new ones, ‍:oops::ooops:

13. Used 3mm visco as also read about 2mm problems. Visco, talons and system all from a forum supplier.

nickjee likes this.
  14. nickjee

nickjee Supports UKFR

Perhaps just bad luck? Like what @Pyro Pete, is doing, I guess testing and more testing is the only way to find out? If you were to repeat it again, keeping note of which cues's failed the 1st time, hopefully you could rule out it being the firing unit.
    Hopefully it was a dodgy talon or two?
    I plan to do a lot of testing this year.. we all spend X amount on fireworks here and come BFN want to be 100% confident in the things going up!

Pyro Pete likes this.
  15. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Exactly @nickjee it's all about testing, trying to duplicate the failure points too, and coming up with a 100% reliable method. I'll be throwing a few hundred more igniters at this one in the coming months and will report back with a video. The biggest shame for me is that the whole point of a consumer system is to make it easy, quick and reliable for the public to remote fire, but if we have to add bits of other fuse or tape match it's hardly a layperson-friendly approach :)

nickjee likes this.
  16. nickjee

nickjee Supports UKFR

That's the point of it for us, as consumers!
    But is that the point of it from a manufacturer/supplier's angle?
    From what I can tell, the pro matches and consumer matches are exactly the same, except for the top loop. One day, someone had this clever idea of that top bit, as a way to sell millions of them to people like me who haven't got the confidence of matching into the tube yet..... and it worked... I've got loads of them upstairs LOL. This was my first year remote firing, and after reading one comment on here last summer, have never threaded the visco through that loop and back out as is the suggested method, as you want the powder to meet the match 1st.

Fingers crossed you'll find the perfect solution this year Pete, but I fear adding bits may be a part of it (which to honest, I quite like doing anyway... makes the whole thing last longer :D)

Pyro Pete likes this.
  17. Jon

Jon Pro Firer/Crew

Pros normal use ematches which have a pyrotechnic material at the head that ignites and burns at high temperature to help pass the fire...they are normally fused into quickmatch or the tube itself so you get direct black powder connection.

Consumer/ Talons are just a loop of fuse wire basically.

I have wondered about testing low wattage resistors to see if they burn with enough heat to work better than talons.

Pyro Pete likes this.
  18. nickjee

nickjee Supports UKFR

Consumer e matches are the same as pro i mean.. not the talons...

Jon likes this.
  19. Jon

Jon Pro Firer/Crew

Yes, sorry, I misinterpreted.

nickjee likes this.
  20. PyroNoob

PyroNoob Supports UKFR

Yes exactly that @Pyro Pete the igniter went off but just did not ignite the visco happened twice.