Black Cat Fireworks

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by JayT, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Not seen too much in the way of Black Cat on here. These boxes are over 20 years old now, remember having the Leopard one family November 5th. I have a few rockets as well, will post them up when I get chance. Any one else got any pre-Huddersfield Black Cat to share? image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Sufjan1986

Sufjan1986 Supports UKFR

I loved the Black Cat selection boxes. Those mini fountains were great!

Johnny Edward Ludick likes this.
  3. danielpyronutter

danielpyronutter Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

These items have burton on Trent on.

Attached Files:

4. The boxes are the earliest black cat available in the UK, from Tutbury, Staffs.

5. Black Cat took over what was the Feistel/Benwell factory at Burton on Trent,Derbyshire,i have a letter that i wrote to Feistel just after the take over saying that the firm was no longer German owned but was now the Chinese owned Black Cat,i may still have a few rockets from this period,i need to check my collection.

6. Better photo of the Panther box contents. image.jpeg

7. Suspicious sounding rockets image.jpeg
    Seem to be a multiple bang rocket from the description. I think there were other versions too.

8. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

Bit of a photo shoot of some of the Black Cat collection. Came back in and that mischievous Elf is (nearly) at it again:. EC2E2C89-CEE3-4489-AF82-689992ABB461.jpeg

9. Very artistic and festive presentation!
    IMG-20191102-WA0027.jpg IMG-20191102-WA0026.jpg 2415C42E-389C-4A71-A2B4-00FA96E64775.jpeg D8B86E21-D7E4-45A2-939B-E12AEF5A8935.jpeg

10. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Absolutely loved all this stuff when it came out. Green Bamboo was my first cakeof theirs. Thunder King air bombs were brilliant. In fact, I don't think any of their stuff was bad. Loved the selection boxes. Sky Dancer rockets were the first falling leaves effect I'd come across and Sky Missiles were excellent flash bursts though I'd say, for me, Cosmic took first place for rockets back then.

One BC cake I never understood was Typhoon Twister. I tried two. Some blue stars and a white comet from each shot. No spinners or tourbillions. Dissected one and found the cartridge contained blue stars and that comet thing was some composition pressed into a funny little green coloured plastic 'top hat' shaped cap. No idea what the idea was behind this because it never span or did anything other than just make a silver comet. Maybe it was supposed to do something special but didn't actual perform as they thought it should? Good days.

11. I used to buy nearly every Black Cat Cake and Rocket, they made some fantastic stuff back then!, i still have one cake in my collection, shame their quality didn't last!

12. We used to have Standard every year until 1995 when we got a black cat leopard box instead. I remember being very impressed compared to the size C standard box the year before. Although only one of the rockets in the Sky Spectacular pack we got aswell went higher than the hedge! (The sky missile).

13. paul s

paul s Supports UKFR

Return of Hale Bop @BarnOwl ....................:cool: piece

BarnOwl likes this.
  14. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

It really was. One of my all time favs too.

15. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Was that a triangular shaped one? I had it once but have no idea what it did...

16. Diamond shaped, my memory of firing one is 19 years old and therefore hazy but I seem to remember the effect being screamer/screecher to peony.

17. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

18. paul s

paul s Supports UKFR

Diamond shape initially, made for BC by Brothers!
    It then changed to square, before later being reintroduced by BC to cash in on the name. It was around at the same time as another classic: Green Bamboo.
    The screaming comets to peony was a great effect back then, and would still hold its own nowadays.

19. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

Yes that’s pretty much it, years since I fired one too.
    Clearer picture of it on its own so can see it’s shape. Plus Thunder King with its impressive painting plus signature as a label. image1.jpeg image0.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019