Black Cat Fireworks

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by JayT, Jan 31, 2016.

1. The airbrushed style artwork on the labels of the early black cat mixed with early style computer writing just looks fantastic to me, as does most of the 90s labelling from all companies. With the matt paper and the larger pieces wrapped in delicate cellophane. Just fantastic.

Tinderbox likes this.
  2. paul s

paul s Supports UKFR

Remember 'Galactic Invader' by FI...?

Regular matt paper with a cheesey, American style spaceman image. Great days.

Tinderbox likes this.
  3. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

I was thinking exactly that. Very distinctive wrapper designs in the early days from BC. Lots of purples and pinks air brushed in. Love the matt paper too.

I remember the selection boxes being really good. Not too many coco powder flower pots (whispy charcoal with microstars) that dominate all boxes these days. They had some actual proper flares, bengals, gerbs. Whistle Stop was a fun item. I only ever had one that never exploded like a maroon but I do not think that was the intended effect. Just a fountain and then a loud whistle or my case KABOOM!

There was a wheel called Whizz Wheel ( I think) that got recalled because the supplied nails were too small. I picked a load up dirt cheap and they were amazing. Proper microstar drivers.

4. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

[​IMG]
    Found a pic from someone elses old post. Says Standard but I distinctly remember it being Black Cat when I got mine. They later changed the effects to just whit titanium sparks and the burn time was reduced. Why do they have to piss about?

danielpyronutter and Sparkler like this.
  5. standard steve

standard steve Supports UKFR

how many of the above do you want , ive some standard big wheels has well . ?

6. Sparkler

Sparkler Supports UKFR

Standard Big wheel was another great wheel

7. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

me?

standard steve likes this.
  8. standard steve

standard steve Supports UKFR

ill get some pics for this post , ive quite a bit from this period , some live & some genuine standard , black cat dummys , they came from
    crossland hill site , in Huddersfield . I used to like there fireworks then , gone down hill now though , all poor supermarket stuff now.
    ss

9. The later ones were marked with both black cat and standard, they did quite a bit of dual branding around the time of the millennium.

10. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Agreed. The original Black Cat stuff was indeed very good. Real dross these days. Why?

11. Supermarkets. They seem to ruin most brands with their demands and sale or return policies

12. Sparkler

Sparkler Supports UKFR

IMG_5463.JPG Some very early Black cat bits

13. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Their chinesey imports were actually excellent performers and Ioved their labels. I have one called Happy Spring with a man-eating shark busting open a small wooden fishing boat and the sailor is trying to kill it with a long pike whilst fending off an evil attacking seagul. Happy Spring indeed. I have the wrapper pasted in a scrap book. I'll try dig it out...Looked like a properly painted picture (paint and brush) to me...

BarnOwl likes this.
  14. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

Interesting. Looking forward to seeing this particular label of Happy Spring @Tinderbox

15. paul s

paul s Supports UKFR

Those were the days when a Chrysanthemum was a peony with trailing silver tails to each star. Nowadays the term has been bastardised to usually mean crackling.

16. Very few of these cakes were bursting flash powder peonies back then too, they were mostly what would now be termed as low noise, being a flower basket type break where the stars were ejected from the bombettes with minimal force and the shell casing came down intact.

17. danielpyronutter

danielpyronutter Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Not sure if anyone is interested in these?

20191231_135152.jpg 20191231_135234.jpg 20191231_135310.jpg 20191231_135326.jpg

BarnOwl likes this.
  18. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

I once wrote to BC in Sweden and they sent me a big box full of posters and trinkets. Amongst these was a BC wrist watch, BC umberella, BC key rings and a BC baseball cap. All now gone sadly. The brolly got used a lot and was devoured by the wind. God knows what happened to everything else. long time ago. Young and daft.

19. I still have a set of Black Cat posters, got them from a seasonal shop that only opened for one year, had the whole range too, i was forever in there!, got to know the man in the shop and asked if he had any spare posters and he gave me a large envelope full of them.

standard steve likes this.
  20. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

@Tinderbox Happy Spring report - with said artwork of Man attacking Shark. Etc
    E132B75C-0186-4D14-A8B5-9066585BAC23.jpeg CD938E8A-AB58-496E-8078-359B19045F77.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020