Black Cat Fireworks

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by JayT, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

That's the one. With that agressive seagul aswell. Happy Spring indeed....hehehe

2. paul s

paul s Supports UKFR

A wonderful looking piece. That's a keeper if ever there was one.

BarnOwl likes this.
  3. Whizzbang

Whizzbang Supports UKFR

4. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

Plus letter to retailers with order form A128FC10-6F67-4F67-800A-989FBC9CC9E8.jpeg

Tinderbox likes this.
  5. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

I had that promotion pack. The days when Black Cat where actually at the top of their game. Produced some excellent stuff back then. What the hell happened? I wouldn't go near the stuff now. Total garbage.

Air Bomb King and standard steve like this.
  6. standard steve

standard steve Supports UKFR

I agree , don't know why they just don't call it a draw . a lot more better stuff out there .

7. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

Mainly because they lost John Woodhead to Cosmic..

John Woodhead was mostly behind everything that was great about Black Cat in the 90's. Including all their marketing, the label designs, names of pieces etc.
    Not surprising when he left to join Cosmic in around '99, they then benefited hugely with their own superb branding like Golden Lion, Astra, Benwell etc

Peter Mackett likes this.
  8. standard steve

standard steve Supports UKFR

standard fireworks never moved on , other companies started to make cakes etc . black cat waited till standard was on the floor then
    they bought them cheap , with the help of an ex employee that standard had got rid of years earlier , hence Chinese imports .
    black cat stuff from late 90s up to mid 2000s where good gear , john was not there then . in the mid 2000s blackcat decided not to make fireworks for shops , started dealing with supermarkets , that's why there fireworks are poor know . nothing to do with john
    Woodhead . black cats main market is in the usa , I lost interest in black cat - standard , over ten years ago . I used to go to there
    warehouse for years , but it just went from bad to worse , so my money went else where .
    its a shame but its all been going down hill for decades . a lot better fireworks & companies out there know .

9. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

The quality of Black Cat's stuff was ace. Lots of new and unusual effects. The only constant is change is guess.

10. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

Yeah of course Black Cat UK quality didn’t disappear overnight after he left, but gradually went down as the millennium wore on. A lot of those classic pieces from the 90’s of course like Green Bamboo, Hale Bop, Dragon Pearls, Thunder King, Silver Spirals continued to be available for a good few years too.

Black Cat worldwide though (although huge in the USA as you say) are now are of course a drop in the ocean to their parent co Li & Fung, so maybe a loss of interest there too..

standard steve likes this.