Brocks Boxes..Different Pictures

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Richard Lane, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

IMG_5045.JPG IMG_5033.JPG IMG_5034.JPG The classic...iconic even ....Brocks Box Lid design over some years appear to be the same.
    Not so! :eek:..... Interestingly if you look closely at the three designs posted here they are completely different
    The first version..from a very very early date..late 40's..early mid 50's...is smaller approx box size of 170x120x40 mm is different tonal colour from the other more usual versions.
    If you look you can see considerable differences in the colours...layout..shape of the houses..the church..particularly the trees..and the patterns of the fireworks and fires..and the figures in front.
    In my view these drawings are absolutely brilliant and capture the essence of the Blue Touch era..and are one of the very best images from that time...have a look..:rolleyes::)

2. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Fabulous boxes! Mine seems to be a combination of two of yours. It has the red outline but with the earliest of pictures and no warning notice... Brock's Box - 5'-.jpg

Richard Lane, TONYB and Peter Mackett like this.
  3. Richard Lane

That's an early Box Martin..lovely..the red edge kinda dates it in the early mid 50's I would guess..it has the exact same details in the drawing ..from the same printplate for sure...

Firefiend likes this.
  4. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

heres some my brocks boxes
    Brocksboxtopfinal (2).jpg IMG_0192.JPG IMG_0196 (2).JPG WP_20150519_045.jpg WP_20150519_043.jpg s-l1600 (20).jpg

5. I used to have a long banner with the houses design on it that would have been placed at the back of the shop glass cabinet where the fireworks were on sale. Can’t remember who got it.

Richard Lane and Firefiend like this.
  6. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

You can see a similar poster in the shop window....
    Brock's Postcard - Poster in a shop window in Bramber, West Sussex.jpg
    Brock's Postcard - Poster in a shop window in Bramber, West Sussex 2.jpg
    Not quite the same feel to it now and definitely no Brock's Fireworks :(
    https://goo.gl/maps/cSftCTLAL7r

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  7. jww

jww Supports UKFR

Firefiend likes this.
  8. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

June 1963 Brock's trade advert... Note the prices and edging on the box.

Brock's Advert - 1963-06 Trade - The Leading Brand Of Fireworks.jpg

TONYB, Peter Mackett and Richard Lane like this.
  9. Richard Lane

..Martin...great stuff.....another variant..on first glance it looks similar to the first..top..box in my first posting...but wait a mo..it's not...it's a mix of all the others as well..there probably many variants of this iconic design...good old Brocks... ;):D:rolleyes:
    Here are some more shots of the oldest box in my post..I reckon approx 1947-1952,,..I'm going to research who 'SLADE' of St Albans were/are... IMG_5059.JPG IMG_5060.JPG IMG_5061.JPG IMG_5062.JPG

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  10. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

I would think Printers if I was you !
    Looks like a printers mark to me.

11. Richard Lane

Yup Kev..been looking for printers in St Albans..emailed their memory society..see what that brings...watch this space ....

12. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Richard Lane and Escht like this.
  13. Richard Lane

Martin..good stuff chap..that's interesting..appears to have kept going until quite recently...normally these print packaging companies from the 50's have long gone...
    I'm exploring the local societies..see what that comes up with....

Firefiend likes this.
  14. Firefiend

Firefiend Supports UKFR

Richard Lane likes this.
  15. I ha
    Is this the poster in question? 20180428_122021.jpg

16. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Supports UKFR

Yes as said above by @Richard Lane this fantastic artwork captures the very essence of the blue touch period in creating and evoking memories from a bygone era. The more I see this stunning artwork the more I love it. It certainly has to be one of the most thought provoking fireworks designs/artwork of the time, Perfectly capturing that Autumn chill of the firework season. Amazed it’s not been reproduced in some form by a modern day Company....

17. Richard Lane

Absolutely..it has always been my very favourite design from the blue touch era...it as you so rightly say... conjures up everything that is”right” about those times.
    I remember as if it was yesterday the first time I saw the Brocks Box with that design..and my love of it has increased as the years go by.
    Herewith attached some other images of design that I have collected over so many years for your enjoyment.You will notice that there are two images of the closer street scene as opposed to the village one....they are extremely rare and the second one is a development of the first both of which I have original copies of.
    I’m told that there is a final one of the scene with the big central wheel which exists but as yet I haven’t been able to locate it....but the search goes ever onward!! 68199D48-BE88-4D11-84C8-750392EC5462.jpeg E5DF5C03-2CEB-45EC-B162-380C5669CEFC.jpeg 0445CB91-3ACE-4571-8BBD-C1D12061C7AE.jpeg FDD915FB-D715-4736-AEF9-38BF6667CB6B.jpeg F879CFF5-A550-49A3-AADE-BE79BC206BBF.jpeg E5690F56-1B16-41F5-B17C-00E33E4F1CB7.jpeg 4DBB22F8-F869-4199-9E7B-F6E734ADF643.jpeg B8231ED4-EBC7-4A94-BAED-753F48DAC817.jpeg BD76B6D4-311F-460A-914E-E286D29A251E.jpeg

Repington, Peter Mackett and BarnOwl like this.
  18. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

this is the only one I've found so far with contents in it, box faded but contents in great condition. Since found a much nicer box to keep them in.........

IMG_8266.JPG

Some will remember this box, it came in looking like this
    BROCKS BOX BEFORE.jpg

and I managed to clean it up to look like this
    BROCKS BOX AFTER.JPG

19. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

better picture of what was in it
    IMG_8263.JPG

20. Richard Lane

Those labels in conjunction with the box say so much to me about my history in fireworks..the atmosphere surrounding them is almost tangible..in partic the radio wave pattern on the Gloria RC...and the Squib cometic serpent wrap design....ahh great stuff.Nice one Kev!:rolleyes: