Brock's Display - Dreamland Margate 1951 Season.

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by supremetwo, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Another from my collection of leaflets - slightly before my time with the Brocks team.

Much of the programme very familiar to me - that labour-intensive and rain-sensitive Star of India was always met with groans!

Chased by the large Tourbillions on several occasions - these were usually fired from a tea-chest lid and sideways diversions were common if the spin was not completely even prior to the take-off jets firing.

I know zilch about item 30 'House on Fire' - such a complicated description and I've never seen that fired.

I think it must have involved Dreamland's own Fire Brigade actually putting out a fire.

Dreamland 1951 P1010419.jpg Dreamland 1951 cover P1010418.jpg Dreamland 1951 rear P1010420.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  2. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Brilliant! :)

Number 30 sounds good!

3. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

Lovely stuff Malcolm...enjoy reading the programme in detail..word by word..love the gushing script!
    How things have changed!:rolleyes:o_O

supremetwo likes this.
  4. hofnerite

hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

I love these old descriptions.. reminds me as of a kid of the old indoor fireworks with over descriptive names.
    Imagine promoting a modern council display like that .. Red peony... green peony... red peony.... green peony... willow

Richard Lane and supremetwo like this.
  5. Done Fettling

Done Fettling Supports UKFR

I wonder if number 16 is what Weingart called a Conch shell ?

6. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

Sounds like Weingart...P 157 at the bottom of the page...must have been quite a shell !!

7. It would not have been larger than 5½" on the Dreamland site as space (and budget) was limited and was probably just a multicolour (variegated) standard burst.

The largest I ever helped set up in that era was 8½" from the centre cross-pier of Ramsgate Harbour for the 1953 Coronation and that size was unusual as commented by the Brocks pyros.

And that also brings back memories of hunting for unused carbide cartridges outside the boat repair shops. :whistle: