Camcorder recommendation

Discussion in 'Professional Fireworks' started by Dodgey, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

More advice needed! Getting tired of 4Gb limit etc with a DSLR so need a real camcorder. Needs to be solid state - i.e. no tapes, and I absolutely have to be able to attach a really wide angle lense to it.

I need to be able to set it to infinity and be done with it.

No idea where to start as Amazon seems flooded with cheap chinese rubbish.

I don't mind a few hundreq quid plus lens. It just has to work with no hassles.

Any suggestions welcome!

2. B19_TLG

B19_TLG Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Looking myself after realising GoPro is clearly not the one for fireworks. In fact my hero 5 black edition has failed once again and needs its second warranty replacement in a couple of months.

3. Bucksend

Bucksend Supports UKFR

I too had a quick search for camcorders with memory/sd etc. but the prices seem to be much higher than I expected.

4. Madfish

Madfish Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Did you find anything ?

5. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

Nope - there seems to be a lack of camcorder websites. I just can't find the info I need. I gave up after a while.

Googling camcorders just gets cheap chinese rubbish now. No sites seem to do genuine product roundups any more. I guess the camcorder is dead, which seems odd.

6. Madfish

There is a big leap pricewise to get any camcorders with interchangeable lens - probably as it is dipping into 'pro' territory :(

7. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Camcorders as a "thing" still exist, I just had a look on Argos's site and there's a "traditional camcorder" section with some choice from say £200 for HD to £500+ for 4K. All with built in lens though. As for reviews I think you'd need to do it the hard way, searching for each model number and hoping someone on YouTube has reviewed it.

8. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

The one thing I did find is that you can get add on wide conversions for some of the consumer cameras , I just could not find out which, and the ensuing results.

9. Madfish

Have you considered an external recorder for your existing DSLR or CSC? - available used for £300 ish

blackbat likes this.
  10. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Not sure about this 4GB limit. The limit above which cameras get classed as camcorders for import duty reasons is 30 minutes, but I guess some cameras might limit files to 4GB. My DSLR will use multiple files which can be seemlessly joined together to create a maximum movie duration of 29m59s.

11. Krony

Krony Supports UKFR

My 70D limits files to 4gb but they can be joined together in most software seamlessly, I used to use windows movie maker as it's free but it compresses the files alot so used to lose quality, I use premier pro now and it's loads better for quality and have loads of options for tweaking exposure, brightness, contrast and saturation to name a few.

12. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

No joy with my 600d 4gb and it stops.

13. blackbat

If you already have the lenses maybe consider upgrading the 600D to a model which will record up to half an hour? There has to be something available on the second hand market which is not too expensive. Maybe a full frame 6D, then your wide lens suddenly becomes a whole lot wider ...

14. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Magic Lantern?

https://magiclantern.fm/

"auto restart after 4GB limit"

I used it on my 500D and it's easy to install, free, and adds lots of tasty features.

blackbat likes this.
  15. Madfish

4Gb is a Fat32 file system limit so SD cards will not create single files any larger.

16. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

Cheers all! So far installed Magic Lantern and it auto restarts recording. I lose 2 seconds. Not the end of the world - as long as its not the finale!

I did find a variant called "Tragic Lantern which will recored continuous up to 30 mins but it is well out of date and had no end of trauma trying to install older versions of magic lantern that would be compatible.

Pyro Pete likes this.
  17. blackbat

The issue here is some cameras not being able to create multiple files whilst recording, thus being stuck with a 4GB limit which doesn't allow a great duration if recording in full HD.

Madfish likes this.
  18. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

Tragic Lantern runs of Exfat so bypasses the 4Gb limit, but it's not maintanied any more :(