Car Cleaning

Discussion in 'Non-Pyro chat' started by UKChrisT, Feb 8, 2019.

1. UKChrisT

UKChrisT Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

After running a detailing company for 3 years now, last year we decided to approach a chemical manufacturer to formulate a range of custom products to meet our demands, which has been very successful I would be interested to hear from members of UKFR who actually take pride in keeping their cars clean to see what brand you are currently using and why?

From a professional point of view, we know what traders look for but I'd be interested to hear what the general consumer looks for when choosing their car care products? Price, scent, branding etc?

A few photos of our own kits. HDCarCare-05022019-1-square.jpg HDCarCare-05022019-2-square.jpg HDCarCare-05022019-3-square.jpg HDCarCare-05022019-4-square.jpg HDCarCare-05022019-5-square.jpg HDCarCare-05022019-6-square.jpg HDCarCare-05022019-7-square.jpg HDCarCare-05022019-12-square.jpg HDKitsImage.png

elmo and Krony like this.
  2. drummer73

drummer73 Supports UKFR

Mainly used meguiars but nowadays it's whatever they use at the hand car wash :eek:
    Did I read in the EDP you're needing to find a new home?

3. UKChrisT

Hand car wash? Shut the front door! :eek:
    Indeed, it's been an ongoing battle with the council for 2 years now while it's frustrating we have outgrown the current unit.

4. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Fallout Remover? Is that for after the apocalypse? :cool:

Jon Coles, hofnerite and UKChrisT like this.
  5. drummer73

drummer73 Supports UKFR

Sorry, must really make you cringe :D
    Perhaps I'll let you loose on them sometime!
    Have you got anywhere else lined up?

6. UKChrisT

We have twelve months to find something else but the trouble is particularly in North Norfolk as I said to the EDP there is a real lack of commercial units, I approached the old RAF Coltishall base today but nothing suitable at the moment so they've added us to their "Waiting List" :rolleyes:

7. drummer73

drummer73 Supports UKFR

Could do without that hassle I'm sure!
    Could you do it as a mobile business short term till you found somewhere else?

8. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

9. drummer73

drummer73 Supports UKFR

Eastern Daily Press newspaper

10. drummer73

drummer73 Supports UKFR

Beat me to it Pete!

11. UKChrisT

We are mobile as well, so that will continue regardless however the mobile part of the business makes up 5%.

The comments from the council make you laugh “We will also be discussing the decision and periods for compliance with the site owner and appellant.” I and the other businesses on site haven't heard from the council at all, they fail to inform readers the amount it cost them or should I say, taxpayers. No support whatsoever from North Norfolk District Council.

12. Put in an official complaint.

13. UKChrisT

On the list of things to do Mark. Our landlord is the third generation to farm the land and farm diversification is essential nowadays, the landlord in question has spent more than £70k fighting for Beeches Farm but the local council haven't been willing to work with him/us at all during the last 2 years.

There is actually an existing business on site who the council were willing to support once then all of a sudden things changed, very odd it's a bit complex to go into on here but if you fancy actually learning about the whole site it's on the NNDC planning portal; https://idoxpa.north-norfolk.gov.uk/online-applications/simpleSearchResults.do?action=firstPage

One thing we certainly learnt is not to trust the local council, be interesting to see if we hear anything from them when it comes to the rates! ;)

Duskyfuse likes this.
  14. About to clean mine for the first time since i've owned it, ready to sell on to new owner :p

Any tips for a heavily contaminated black car?

You offering discounts for first time buyers? :oops::p

15. UKChrisT

Heavily contaminated such as tree sap, tar spots etc?

We do a lot of pre-sale valets, for me I feel its the small areas which a potential buyer might pay attention to such as the door shuts and engine bay so I always encourage the customer to pay to have the engine bay done, for a potential buyer it can make all the difference. Nothing worse than looking at a car to find the engine bay filthy or the door shuts full of grime/green, even on our most basic valets we thoroughly clean the door shuts, boot shuts and even the fuel cap.

If I was personally selling a car I would do a full decontamination (remove any tar spots, iron particles) I would then clay to remove any bonded contamination which isn't easily removed by chemical such as tree sap, I would then hand polish using a Glaze that will hide some swirling and marks, results would be clean, smooth glass like finish. You can clean the engine bay with an APC (1:1 ratio) excellent for degreasing and removing the grime, its absolutely fine to pressure wash the engine bay by the way just at a safe distance and avoid spraying directly into any electrical components (I must have cleaned over 100 engine bays and never experienced an issue).

We do have a discount code for 10% off it's 'DC10' but it won't work with the detailing kits which are already discounted (https://hdcarcare.co.uk).

zephieish likes this.
  16. As I understand it any agricultural building that's been there for 10 years can have a change of use for business.

17. UKChrisT

Tried that one but for some reason dismissed. There is a dwelling nearby (privately owned) who used to complain to the council regularly regarding noise from the site, working at all hours etc, none of which is true the landlord even paid £2000 to have a noise meter installed for a period of 2 weeks, again results showed nothing in our favour, at the hearing the landlord is asked his plans if the appeal fails he mentioned using the site to house pigs as it's not suitable for modern farm machinery, the council made it clear they would refuse that as there is a listed building within 2 miles? It's utter madness!

18. Obviously the brown envelope isn't fat enough

Duskyfuse and UKChrisT like this.