Cobra Aux Power

Discussion in 'Firing Systems And Fusing Fireworks' started by Firestormpyrotechnics, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Firestormpyrotechnics

Firestormpyrotechnics Pro Firer/Crew

I’m using a power bank with an output of 5V to power my 18R2 and it works perfectly and gives a reading of P9 at all times but when I use the control panel, it says the battery is only on P4 or P5 but surely this can’t be true and I’m wondering if it’s because I’m using 5V instead of 4.5V...anyone else had this problem?

2. So it says p9 on the controller but p5 on the tablet at the same time

3. Firestormpyrotechnics

Yes Mark that’s correct and I’m no electrician so not sure if I should ignore. It works perfectly but I don’t know why I get such an odd reading on the tablet!

4. hofnerite

hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

That's odd. Sounds like it could be a flaw in the CP software rather than a power issue.
    Email Scott - there may be a known issue.

5. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

How are you connecting the power bank to the R2’s?
    Any news on the lipo for the R2’s ?

6. Firestormpyrotechnics

USB direct to motherboard

7. We’ve got a load like this Geoff I’ll get the boys to set them up and see what they read.

what power pack are you using

8. Firestormpyrotechnics

Normal power bank with digital readout and 3 outputs

9. Firestormpyrotechnics

Kedron 25000 mAh to be precise

10. pyroplayer

pyroplayer Pro Firer/Crew

We have locking barrel jack on our 18R2s which we connect to 5v powerbanks and 5v mains adapters. Shows P9 on the R2 and control panel. We supply external power via the battery terminals, not directly onto the motherboard.

11. so do you have a locking in-line socket or locking chassis socket,
    I wasn't aware you could get these
    do you have a link?

12. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

Any pictures of your conversions ?

13. pyroplayer

Screw lock-ring barrel connector, nice solid large contacts inside that won't work loose over time. Custom barrel jack to usb cable, lets you use power banks or a mains plug. Currently connected onto the inside of the battery terminals, so you can still use AAs or external power. Planning to make use of the 3rd pin on the connector to detect cable presence and disconnect the AA, as currently you can only have one or the other at the moment. Would be nice to have the AA already in as a backup if your powerbank dies or mains trips, unplug the cable and you're back in business.

Life changing having it mains powered, on large shows with lots of modules to communicate with over big distances we were finding the 18R2 battery life dropping very quickly. These shows are almost always musicals, with PA and power available anyway. Less stress now if the client delays, as they usually do! We always joked about £££££ displays relying on 3 x AAs :eek:

IMG_0487.jpg IMG_0486.jpg

14. i can find locking barrel connectors but not the socket they mate with
    any links?

15. pyroplayer

Pyro Pete, argentc and elmo like this.
  16. thank you for the links:)

pyroplayer likes this.
  17. Charlie

Charlie Pro Firer/Crew

Thanks for the links. That’s a game changer :)

365D7FA1-6F39-49B7-91D5-4907B27C725D.jpeg

18. would that set up work/fit the command centre ?

19. Do you mean if you built your own?

Command Centre already comes with a built in battery.

20. Meant the diy kit as already have R2 and tablet