design of brass awls

Discussion in 'Firing Systems And Fusing Fireworks' started by Tiltman, Dec 3, 2018.

1. sorry but I suspect the question gets lost in the other thread ...

Do any pros think that it would be useful to have a brass "bradawl" with some form of drill/thread type point? Would that be better to work through cardboard than simply pushing a point in? And would it be safe?

2. SwissTony

SwissTony Pro Firer/Crew

Was thinking about this the other day when I first saw the original post.
    Something like this cut into the tip would work (just the channel bit, not the sizing steps)
    5-35mm-Step-Drill-Bit-High-Speed-Steel-M2-Step-Cone-Drill-13mm-Shank-Hss-Step.jpg_640x640.jpg

Other option could be making the tip pyramid shaped (3 or 4 sided) making it easier to insert, twisting the tool while inserting would round out the hole.

Tiltman likes this.
  3. Krony

Krony Supports UKFR

I use the 4 sided chamfer method as it cuts better having 4 sharp edges.

4. Da Main Mouse

Da Main Mouse Supports UKFR

I made some using 5mm square rod instead. But i preferred theround style. Square just seamed a bit teary.

5. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

Don’t see any benefit from a threaded point at all, can’t imagine it being used on many tubes with cardboard wall thickness more than 2-3mm

6. ok cheers.

7. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

...ok, noob questions incoming!! :p

1. Is brass used purely because if using a screwdriver or non brass instrument, there is a risk of heat build up due to friction when puncturing the tube?

2. Why would one use an e-match igniter inserted into the tube vs a consumer ematch attached to the fuse right at the base of the tube - surely you'd only be saving less than half a second delay?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  8. hofnerite

hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

1. brass won't spark unlike iron/steel. Still highly unlikely to happen with iron/steel but technically possible if it clips a fragment of flint/stone in the clay when poking around.

2. So instant ignition can be achieved. Clipping a talon/ematch to the visco results in random time delays - could be a second, could be 5 depending how much visco is inside the wrapping/tube. Also an ematch into the lift charge is almost 100% likely to fire. Clipping anything to visco increases the chances of a misfire.

deans6571 and Da Main Mouse like this.
  9. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

....thanks for those answers - really helpful. :)

I've seen vids on YouTube where the hole is literally poked, right next to where the viscos enters the tube, and then the ematch (with shroud) is inserted into the hole (from the outside, at the base of the tube). Wouldn't this potentially cause a misfire as you can't actually see what's on the other side, where the shroud enters the tube - what if when the ematch fires, it doesn't actually connect with the flammable substance responsible for starting the cake?

10. hofnerite

Well if the sleeve is left on, when fired it will spit out a very hot flame often a good 10cm so as long as there's black powder inside, it'll easily catch.
    When poking you will feel the crunch (I always wince a bit) of the black powder when you hit the sweet spot.
    I try not to make too bigger a hole as I always worry about the structure of the tube being compromised and for smaller tubes I generally insert a short piece of quickmatch into the hole and insert the ematch into the end of that as there's not really enough room on a ≤20mm tube to fit the ematch and shroud in. Of course you could just slip in the head of the ematch but then the head isn't protected so if you accidentally pull the match out of the cake a bit quick there's the risk of friction firing it.

elmo, Da Main Mouse and deans6571 like this.
  11. B19_TLG

B19_TLG Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Once you’ve done it you get used to the feel and sound of the lift charge inside. But typically if it’s next to or at the point of fuse entry, you won’t be far off. Never had an issue with it. You’ll unlikely ever bore into the clay plug. Not if you remain next to the original fuse ingress point. The clay would have been pressed and have a flat surface. The lift charge will sit on top of that typically. Then the star or effect or shot above that. You’d be hard pushed to balls it up I think.

Da Main Mouse and deans6571 like this.
  12. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

....so, the above would work with cakes - how would you use ematches in say a mine where the fuse enters the tube from above the central tube or a piece of pyro where there is just one long central tube and the fuse comes out the top?

Da Main Mouse likes this.
  13. Da Main Mouse

Da Main Mouse Supports UKFR

Kant speak for anyone else but I just clip the ematch as close as I can get in this case.

deans6571 likes this.
  14. hofnerite

In true mines (Sovereign or Kimbolton) there's a length of quickmatch just under the cover so the ematch would go into that.
    In Celtic dump cakes there's QM under the wrapper also. In Zeus mines, as in the Celtic "mines" it's just a bunch of tubes like a cake so the ematch goes into the tube.

The exception are roman candles where the visco disappears into the top of the tubes. In this case either use a talon, or ematch into a short length of QM and stuff the ends of the black strands in the top so the visco is in good contact.

Bucksend and deans6571 like this.
  15. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

Thanks for that @hofnerite , really appreciate the advice :)

16. Todge2

Todge2 Pro Firer/Crew

The most recent Zeus mine I used had visco into what looked like white, lightning-fast fuse. I just cut off the visco and put an ematch onto the fast fuse, had no delay at all.

elmo and hofnerite like this.
  17. hofnerite

you're right, Zeus love a bit of quick white! I removed that and ematched into the tube though.

elmo likes this.
  18. Todge2

Todge2 Pro Firer/Crew

Free fuse I guess... I didnt think of that... :oops:

hofnerite likes this.
  19. hofnerite

It's a good length too. ;)

20. B19_TLG

B19_TLG Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

That’s what she said.:niceawl:

hofnerite likes this.