Does anyone know the stick length for these....

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Escht, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Trying to find out what the stick length should be for this series of rockets so I can repair them.
    Thanks
    Kevin

COSMIC COMMANDER RCKTS.JPG

2. I probably have some fired ones here somewhere, i would guess they were about 20 to 24 inches in length.

3. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Hi Peter
    Any chance you can check for me to get an exact size, no rush just a job I would like to get done at some point before New Years Eve.

standard steve likes this.
  4. You can work it out yourself

5. How do you do that? interested as I'm acquiring a rocket without a stick

6. The centre point of a rocket is usually half way down / to the bottom of the motor. If you put a rocket on your finger you'll find the centre, experimenting with different lengths of stick will give you that pivot point.

I'll see if I can grab one to show you what I mean.

7. It’s why you sometimes find thicker but shorter sticks on big rockets than others.

all designed for balance in flight

8. danielpyronutter

danielpyronutter Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Spot on Mark, thanks for that, have a few broken ones myself that need repairs.

9. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Don't really have the time for experimenting......... anyone got one of these that can just tell me the length of stick I need......... there are enough Cosmic collectors on here so someone should know.......... remains of stick are still there so I know the cross section dimensions....
    Thanks
    Kevin

10. standard steve

standard steve Supports UKFR

you've loads a time, stop messing around , just stick to what you should be doing !
    try different lengths , the out come might be fun . lol.
    ss

TONYB likes this.
  11. TONYB

TONYB Supports UKFR

kev you can pick these up at wickes ....
    shopping.png

12. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

If you're doing this to just fire them on NYE just get some pine stripwood from the nearest timber merchant the same or close to the existing cross sections. The forllowing formula is a general rule of thumb. It is used for fast, long burning whistle motors but to be honest it works for most motors. (ID = internal diameter of motor):

½” ID 20”x1/4”
    ¾” ID 32”x5/16”
    1” ID 38”x3/8”
    1¼” ID 60”x1/2”

Dowl will be too heavy and expensive.

I am guessing those Space Commanders would have a stick no less than a meter. Doesn't have to be perfect. Your eye will tell you if it's too short or too long. Too short, they will spiral on the way up. Too long, they will fly strait as an arrow but may not go as high with the extra weight. i wouldn't be too worried about it. Go find a rocket in your collection with a similar sized body and go by that. Tollerances are fairly forgiving with simple BP rockets like that.

13. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

If you get desperate you could use two sticks, one either side.
    Don't be tempted to use wonky bamboo garden canes. They will 'weather vane' and go all over the spot. Been there before.

14. standard steve

15. standard steve

ive just cut some branches off a tree in my garden , I can keep it for you .! theres a few leaves still on it though .

16. standard steve

ive just cut some branches off a tree in the garden , I can keep them for you ! but some still have leaves on .

17. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

or just watch this hehe....

18. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try, have a number of old sticks lying about in storage that may well do the job.........

19. standard steve

watch the film first though !