Filming fireworks thread - your equipment and settings.

Discussion in 'Fireworks Forum Chat And Discussion' started by Illusion Fireworks, Jan 5, 2018.

1. There has been some great discussion in another thread about camera equipment and settings to get the best results for filming fireworks, thought it would be a good idea to start a thread specifically for the topic. Since we all strive to capture our displays well (We all sit and watch our show footage back over and over!) this would be a great place to share knowledge, our setups and of course the results!

Maybe @Pyro Productions can drop in here and there with helpful advice, nothing like helping others succeed :)

So currently I have two Canon 700d DSLR each running SamYang 16mm T2.2 Cine lenses, one of the low shot, one for the high shot. I have only had the second DSLR for about a week but already decided (tonight) to jump from Crop sensor to full frame. Just not happy with the results from the 700d.

What are you running?

danielpyronutter likes this.
  2. danielpyronutter

danielpyronutter Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

A Sony Xperia phone :D

Fingers Intact likes this.
  3. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Canon 5D mk3 with a Canon 16-35mm F4 L lens. Usually the lens is set to near 16mm and still not always wide enough...

Illusion Fireworks likes this.
  4. So I just went for it and bought a 5d Mk3, any advice on it @blackbat?

5. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Insure it :)

TGR, Illusion Fireworks and blackbat like this.
  6. danielpyronutter

Seriously though, I would like to capture better quality footage of my displays so would like a go pro or something else easy to use

7. I don’t know how the newer Go Pro’s handle fireworks (awful dynamic range) the last three I bought were Hero 4 blacks and I was underwhelmed. Their best feature is ‘night lapse’ you get some awesome long exposure images :)

8. danielpyronutter

Tbh my phone does a pretty good job and the cameras not overly powerful, I wonder if the IPhone would be good, just needs a steady hand

RocketMadKieran likes this.
  9. danielpyronutter

Glenn's camera done a pretty good job of filming the new Mars range recently

10. Pyro Productions

Pyro Productions Pro Firer/Crew

Sure thing, I recommend you hire someone who knows what they are doing, and already has all the right kit and experience to produce the media you use to sell your business. There is nothing quite like helping out another business is there.

I struggle to film my own displays, there are always so many other things to think about. So having a dedicated professional person to take over the task is the only sensible option really.

The physical filming is only a small part of it anyway. Knowing what to do with the footage is more than 50% of the job in my opinion.

It's a little bit like asking a professional display company if they can design a show for you, and then let them fire it, then take all the credit. After all it's only lighting fireworks isn't it!

Cheers

Cris

Krisha, alasdar and JustinBedford like this.
  11. If memory serves me right your samyang cine lens wont work on your new 5d ( could be wrong) I would check out the below but it's not cheap
    Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM

12. Madfish

Madfish Pro Firer/Crew

Canon M3 with EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM usually f4, 1/30, iso1600, wb -outdoor as a starting point
    DJI Osmo 4k- still experimenting but seems pretty good, the downside being the frames dropped when the file size limit kicks in and starts the next file
    SJ4000 action cam daylight w/b other than that,as it comes

Cris has hit the nail on the head though, first you need good footage, but the real secret is getting the best out of that footage in post production - a lot of work

I have neither...........:(

It actually pees me off you can point an iPhone 7 at a display and get wonderful crisp footage with superb colour and exposure without setting anything! if only they had a wide angle lens.

13. Pyro Productions

Pyro Productions Pro Firer/Crew

Has anyone ever tried one of those wide angle / fish eye attachments for their phone?

14. Madfish

Madfish Pro Firer/Crew

This was filmed with the DJI handheld, rendered down to 1080 with some adjustments made in Adobe Premier Elements and with the sound from the SJ4000 added as the Osmo audio is appalling.
    Filmed at approx 180 -200 meters from the set up

danielpyronutter and wireworks like this.
  15. Great video madfish have you tried to have the drone circle the fireworks as you film them?

Madfish likes this.
  16. Madfish

Madfish Pro Firer/Crew

Its not the drone version, its one of these handheld gimbal type :)

Osmo_.jpg

17. Oh wow did not know these existed, just watched a few vids on You tube.. looks like another toy I need

Madfish likes this.
  18. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

Canon Eos 600D
    Canon EF-S 10-18mm IS lens (with IS off)

Manual focus
    ISO 6400
    1/30
    F 5.0

Comes out a little dark still.

19. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

I've got one of the presets configured to shot at 3200ISO, 1/30s, F4. Manual focus of course, and lens stabilisation off, if it has it and you're using a tripod. One thing I would say is that even at 16mm I'm still surprised how far away you can be and not get everything in!

20. Madfish

Madfish Pro Firer/Crew

Got mine from here - great service :)