Filming fireworks thread - your equipment and settings.

Discussion in 'Fireworks Forum Chat And Discussion' started by Illusion Fireworks, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

Hmm. got me inspired - dry week and an empty field. WIll fish out a load of 10 shot 30mm cakes that cost me £1 each and do some camera testing!

TGR likes this.
  2. A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, it cannot be bought - I cannot practice if I employ somebody to do it for me :)

Jon Coles, TGR, DannyB and 1 other person like this.
  3. Come up to mine, loads of old pyro to 'dispose of' and shoot + beer :)

TGR likes this.
  4. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

Sounds like a plan :)

Illusion Fireworks likes this.
  5. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

@Krony can't you open the aperture a bit more, rather than increasing ISO? Or use some post production to lighten up the fireworks a bit? Both might be preferable to more ISO and more noise.

6. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

I find with opening the appeture it makes focussing a nightmare as your depth of field lowers accordingly.

7. With that lens F5.0 is as wide as it will open, i can get F3.5 on my EFS 18-135 IS but struggle to get everything in.

Pyro Pete likes this.
  8. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

Did sone testing last night and all I concluded was that

1) It's damn hard to focus with my 600D unless I pre-focus when it's light. I managed it in the dark but its not easy in a small screen. I have a TFT add on screen but even then it's hard work. This I already knew!
    2) Basically, the best results I got were with everything wide open. Iso 6400 (max), F4.5 (max - or min depending on how you see it :) ), and then stuck with 1/30 as that seems to be everyone's recommendation. No noticable noise on either 3200 or 6400 - but then 99% of the image is black. 6400 is noticably lighter.

Madfish likes this.
  9. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

With a bit of practice you should be able to judge how much to wind the focus back after hitting the end stop to ensure that things are in focus without having to focus in the daylight. More of a problem, I find, is ensuring the framing is correct when setting up in the dark with no illuminated objects to act as reference points.

10. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

I think the way forward with the stock/cheap lenses is to do some daylight testing and mark or glue guides on the barrel where the "infinity" point is for our needs, I am sure it must be the same place each time, once you go beyond a certain distance. It's true that focussing is a pain in the ass, I get someone to shine a torch at me from the fireworks and lock on to this, then switch to manual so it stays there.

I did also wonder, if using a DSLR with HDMI output to a larger screen would help, as you could see the footage live and in HD, you can buy some reasonable HD monitor screens these days which can also attach to the camera or tripod.

11. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

It's not just cheap or stock lenses that can suffer from this problem. My Canon 16-35mm L lens isn't in focus at F4 if the focus ring is against the end stop.

Pyro Pete likes this.
  12. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

Same - My Canon lens is a nice one. The focus ring has no markings and rotates infintely, so isn't very helpful! It doesn't move when you auto focus, its obviously done inside

At present, I wind it forward out of focus, back out of focus, then back again, half way!

I use an HD screen with an HDMI connection to my camera. Thing is, the 600D HDMI output switches to a low res when it is recording video :( - so it doesn't help greatly. It does however have focus peeking which I need to play with a bit more.

13. I will be having a play this weekend with the new 5d Mk iii and a couple of new lenses looking forward to seeing the results :)

14. RocketRev

RocketRev Moderator Supports UKFR

I also focus manually on a light in the display area..... for my own display I've some LED battery operated portable floodlights that I use during the final stages of set up and checking. So I put one amongst the fireworks and set my cameras up on that.

As for checking focus.... I had a minor panic last year in Valencia. I was using my new Panasonic GX80 for the first time. The camera was set up and I thought I was happily videoing a display, watching the fireworks with my own eyes and taking an occasional glance at the camera monitor just to check things. During one such glance it occurred to me that the display had gone into a blue effects sequence..... except when I looked up, I could only see white effects. So there I was, thinking I'd accidentally changed some white balance setting or something and was screwing up on the video. Thankfully I'd not screwed up. It turned out that I'd got the manual focus assist indicator on..... it adds a blue overlay to any bright highlight that's in focus so you can see what you've got in focus and what the depth of field looks like! It's a useful feature and does help if I want to check or make running adjustments to the focus during a firework display. It's taken me all year to get used to it, though, and not to worry when I see blue!

Pyro Pete likes this.
  15. Madfish

Madfish Pro Firer/Crew

Nothing wrong with a blue movie :whistle: :D:D

16. Madfish

Madfish Pro Firer/Crew

The Panasonic long winded version of 'focus peaking'? ;)

17. RocketRev

RocketRev Moderator Supports UKFR

No.... mine @Madfish It's just what I called it this morning because it's what it does and I didn't want to go looking for the manual or camera to find the official name. :)

Madfish likes this.
  18. iPhone X films nice 4K not bad for a phone! This is Lighting Strike from Prestigous Pyro, fired it on NYE was mad windy on the night but video still very crisp!

Hope the quality coms through on here.

Attached Files:

Pyro Pete likes this.
  19. Charlie

Charlie Pro Firer/Crew

20. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Looks interesting @Charlie - it seems to do a lot of stuff "in camera" that you'd normally do in software or need some expertise for, like stacking, bracketing, time lapse etc. AI seems to be the next big thing with photography. The remote control stuff might be useful for fireworkers.

Ozzieuk likes this.