Filming fireworks thread - your equipment and settings.

Discussion in 'Fireworks Forum Chat And Discussion' started by Illusion Fireworks, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Madfish

Madfish Pro Firer/Crew

Nice video Karl, so maybe around f4.5 equivalent? and do you mean very flat colour profile?
    Also was there any post adjustment of the video?

2. Thanks mate, yes around f4.5, I knocked the contrast and colour back, gives more scope in post edit, the camera also has built in noise reduction which is useful.

I ran it through Red Giant Denoiser III and cranked the saturation in Premier Pro, spent about four hours experimenting, I have what I think is an even nicer edit rendering now.

Pyro Pete and Madfish like this.
  3. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

I was going to comment on the lack of noise at such a high ISO, you've answered that one :) Colours look nice too.

4. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

What are the (very nice) strobing waterfall shells, Karl? :)

5. 100mm red and lemon Special strobing waterfall shells :)

6. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

Europla?

7. Lemon are Celtic, the red are wizard, both from Celebration (Icon) factory - fecking stunning!

blackbat likes this.
  8. Nice bit of video that. Like the star artefact around the stars.

9. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

OK - so firstly, thanks for the tip about zooming the screen to focus - I'd never though you could zoom the screen live (and not the lens) - it makes focussing a doddle! I set the 600D focus on a far away tree.

I also like the ide of a high and low cam, except... I'm so used to framing as much as I can , that I set the low camera...... mid to high! - doh!

The vast majority of the video is from my Canon S120 as it's a closer shot (different lens) - and it is brighter. According to the canon desktop app it set itself at 1/40 with f 1.8 - I set the focus to infinity. It's a bit "soft", and the lense was damp - hence the "top of the pops" effect .

The "wider" shots, which includes the finale shell session, was my Canon 600D set at 1/30 , 6400, F5, manually focussed. As you can see, it needs more light somehow.

But overall, the tips have helped massively, particularly zoom focussing!

I did NOT choose the 1st track :) (and the second was an easy choice from the list presented to me) - and yes, I got very lucky with the single 4" heart shell. When you have a budget to stick to you can't always send up loads :)

10. The Canon 600D footage seems so much more refined.

Another tip, get the camera and lenses as warm as you can and leave it as long as possible before getting them out into the cold, the warmer they are, the longer it takes to reach the dew point :)

I have ordered a 24mm T1.5 lens for my tighter shot in addition to the 14mm, just need to get a second 5d Mkiii now!

TGR likes this.
  11. Madfish

Madfish Pro Firer/Crew

One advantage of the DJI Osmo - it runs hot, there is a built in fan cooler which runs when in standby!

12. UKChrisT

UKChrisT Pro Firer/Crew

The missus filmed this on her iPhone which I found to be OK.....ish

I do have the Canon 700D but just haven't got round to figuring it all out.

13. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

Interesting (strokes beard) - it is indeed more "refined" - much higher details. Just lacks vibrance. Not thought of keeping the lens warm. I pur the cam out hours earlier as I assumed it would aclimatise

14. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

It is amazing how well iphone cameras will capture video. Just they are not practical whilst also firing show.

15. UKChrisT

UKChrisT Pro Firer/Crew

Indeed, I was quite impressed by the footage considering it was filmed on the iPhone they've come a long way.

I'm not able to watch it in 4K as the internet here is terrible and just struggles.

16. Nope the longer it’s in the cold the more moisture forms :)

17. TGR

TGR

You can buy heat sleeves for lenses to keep them warm. Telescope users rely on them as their lenses are usually out in the cold for ages.

Illusion Fireworks likes this.
  18. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Or at the budget end, some Hotties and some elastic bands work very well :chaplin:

@The Powder Keg don't click on that Hotties link, you'll be disappointed.

19. We have some shows out this weekend, the new lens and body have arrived, looking forward to trying out the 24mm lens alongside the 14mm and editing the two shots together. Really getting my head around Premier Pro now too, the new version is so much better than the old version I had been using before!

20. TGR

TGR

As I tend to just take still images (for websites or catalogues) I don't tend to use video editing software. With the software you do use is it possible to slip the audio and video parts to bring them back in sync? If so, is this something you have tried and does it look/sound better or does it look "fake"?