Filming on a mobile

Discussion in 'Fireworks Forum Chat And Discussion' started by jezzadw, May 18, 2020.

1. Hi All

Been filming on my mobile for a few years now, and getting better slowly but still could use some help. I now use the open camera app to access more of the settings and the focus I set to infinity whilst I put the white balance as daylight, what do you guys do with the exposure? do you leave it in the middle at 0 or do you put it plus/minus 2 EV which is all my phone will do? Any advice?

Thanks.

JamesTPG likes this.
  2. danielpyronutter

danielpyronutter Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

I've not even looked at the settings mate lol, seems to work fine normally

JamesTPG likes this.
  3. maxywell

maxywell Supports UKFR

I've tried messing about with various setting but they don't make much difference, still seems to go in and out of focus on certain effects, mostly green for some reason. :confused: my advice would be don't buy a samsung...

4. If I leave it on auto it goes blurry as lol

JamesTPG likes this.
  5. Haha that's my phone. One of my crowd last year filmed a piece on the new iPhone and wow, I would of used their clip except they filmed in portrait not landscape lol

JamesTPG likes this.
  6. Duskyfuse

Duskyfuse Supports UKFR

The newer iPhones are really very good at automatically adjusting as you film. All of my YouTube footage has been filmed via various iPhones and although not pro-looking by a long shot it does a good job of capturing the general effects.

JamesTPG likes this.
  7. I'll ask him if he here this year to film also, but do it properly lol

JamesTPG likes this.
  8. danielpyronutter

danielpyronutter Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

I'll be upgrading my phone this year

JamesTPG and Damp Squib like this.
  9. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

The iPhone is getting very good at video, I came across this clip a while ago of fireworks which was filmed on one:

You can't really ask for better than that for a phone. I'm wondering how the iPhone SE compares as it's Apples new cheap model. And there are apps too which give full manual control over everything.

JamesTPG and maxywell like this.
  10. Looks like I'll have to borrow a filmer lol I refuse to buy an iPhone lol

JamesTPG likes this.
  11. Well my wife and I have the same phone so be interesting to let her film on auto and I'll play around with a few settings and we'll compare.

JamesTPG likes this.
  12. RCT

RCT Supports UKFR

i phone 6 poor, I phone 8 v good. The vids sent to me on Samsung, i assume newer models also very good. I think it’s just down to age of the phone and software etc.

JamesTPG likes this.
  13. See what happens this year then. Just wondered what settings people used and had success with. :)

JamesTPG likes this.
  14. Madfish

Madfish Pro Firer/Crew

Indeed, this was iPhone X point and shoot in 1080hd setting. I think they cope remarkably well, the only thing lacking is a wide angle of view for typical 'home' displays

(edit- probably looks worse than original footage if Youtube have re-compressed)

15. I tend to use a camcorder from Argos.It Has a firework setting and is good as long as there isn't loads of smoke (Canon Legria HFR706) I also sometimes use the GoPro Hero session as it has a wide angle and you can pick the best settings in the app, I found this video very helpful.

jezzadw likes this.