Firework Debris

Discussion in 'Fireworks Forum Chat And Discussion' started by Liam Gomersall, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Hi everyone

New to pyro so excuse me if i come across stupid lol

Every year i notice loads of debris coming from the fireworks and stuff. This year ive gone bigger and better than i have ever.. just wondering is they any tips or tricks to reduce the debris, im using mainly compounds and barrage/cakes.

trueblue_ips likes this.
  2. hofnerite

hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

Cutting the paper off the top of cakes drastically reduces the litter. That's the only thing you can do really.

deans6571, PyroJon and Rookwood like this.
  3. Michael96

Michael96 Supports UKFR

you can remove the paper topping from the fireworks and replace with cling film as that's where most of debris comes from :)

Rookwood likes this.
  4. Thanks for replying bud

When you say cling film you meaning everyday house use cling film? Also what would happen if you just remove paper topping and put nothing on top?

5. Yes, search for the chinese newspaper and colour disks they used to be great fun like pogs of old :) as for debris shell casings and shot packing are part of the enjoyment of firing quality items

6. Rob perry

Rob perry Supports UKFR

Likely to get wet (the top paper is like rubbery plastics) and if you can something to stop cross ignition like foil (remove before firing) helps

7. Unless it rains nothing lol

Limonskaya and Michael96 like this.
  8. Thanks for that everyone.. hopefully weather holds off this BFN dont fancy making more work for my self cling filming if i take cover tops off haha

9. hofnerite

hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

It's good fun!
    Honestly though it means you get a good look at the tubes so you can check for any damage before lighting which is an added bonus.

Rookwood likes this.
  10. there just remains the matter of the spent cakes. What about turning them on edge and using them as bug hotels over the winter? put a piece of board or slate or something over them to protect them from winter weather. turns waste into eco friendly stuff. the 30mm stuff can be used as single cell cakes of seed trays. just a thought.

11. Damp Squib

Damp Squib Supports UKFR

Love the idea of getting the chillis started early in cakes - banger!

Rookwood and nickjee like this.
  12. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

That's a great idea. The only other use for cakes we've had here is pen holders and torch stands. Once used a Minster 100mm mine as an umbrella stand :D

banger_brad, Jon, Rookwood and 4 others like this.
  13. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

...I'm normally STILL finding those cardboard discs on the lawn the following summer when I give it its first cut - you may think you've collected them all but trust me, they get everywhere!!!!
    :p

SilberWirbel and ThePyroManDan like this.
  14. ThePyroManDan

ThePyroManDan Supports UKFR

Oh yeah, i can relate to this spend hours trying to find them all only to go out there the following summer and they are still everywhere.:eek:

deans6571 likes this.
  15. I just found a disc from last year!

deans6571 likes this.
  16. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

...LOL!!!!!!!!

17. scoops

scoops Pro Firer/Crew

I've been back to a few firing sites the day after in day light to ensure zero litter was visible. This is usually after a hand pick and a "hoover" the night before, a well groomed lawn, cricket pitch(@Vivid Pyrotechnics:p) or even tarmac hide things at night which become visible the day after,,,,, topping is the only thing you can do, the rest is just hard work :(

18. POB's Pyro

POB's Pyro Supports UKFR

You can also put down some tarp/plastic sheeting on the ground around the cakes which makes it easier to collect the discs etc :)

Rookwood and scoops like this.
  19. Thank you everyone for your replies

20. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Ugh, yeah. Cleanups. Used to fire wedding shows on hotel lawns. Pain the arse. We always ripped the paper and plastic film tops off before lighting. Cakes are messy as hell. Nowt much you can do. Whistling Saturn missile cakes are an abomination. Bloody melted pen lids everywhere. Stick to comets & bombettes. Those make the least perceivable mess.