Fireworks from the past

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Andy_P, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Do I see a length of green PIC taped to the stick of one of the blue rockets? This was used by standard as a passfire from the touch to the core burning grain. Has it fallen out or something?

2. Jamie Thornton

Jamie Thornton Supports UKFR

I remember the blue having white glittery streamer stars and that stunning bright pink one having red and green. I remember they used to go with quite a swoosh and seemed to climb slowly at a great height, I wish these wonderful rockets were still around as i do all the standard stuff, not only were their labels works of art they were unique to any of the stuff today.

Richard Lane likes this.
  3. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Yes the motors did seem to burn for almost twice as long as rockets of today and even of most brands back then. I've yet to come across any modern rockets that match the old Standard ones with their big bouquet style bursts that had a decent hang time. The modern Standard brand rockets are really quite poor and the last selection box I tried of theirs was dross. Such a shame.

I managed to get a hold of some Polish rockets last year. Small, about the size of the Standard Whistling Banshee air bomb rockets of around 1994. They were 12 to a pack and were quite brilliant. Massive long tail, soft whoosh and small but well performing bouquets. No Bangs. I loved them. Why do we never see anything like that here on the shelves? And if it's because they are too much like mini rockets then why not just up the size? If you ever discover a decent old school 'sky rocket' give me a shout! Can't be doing with these modern flash powder noisy things.

4. Jamie Thornton

Yes thats exactly what I feel about the modern stuff, alot of it is dross in comparison to the old school standard stuff, and as for mini rockets, airbombs and bangers our nanny government of the day decided that we should be protected from ourselves just because an handful of people choose to misuse them, not considering those who love pyro in every form and have safe and enjoyable fun.

Richard Lane, Blue devil and Dave1.3 like this.
  5. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Check out the flash powder coated interior of the box :) These were the first true monster shell burst rockets I ever came across. If I remember, the black cone is easily popped off the top of the header where a disc of sponge holding in the generous filling just sits there. Good days.

6. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Esco were the first to bring that little cake in.

7. ashley_ng

ashley_ng Supports UKFR

8. I have the Wessex Rumpus rocket that you have 4oz size also Everest Climber and Geranium plus Comet. These were originally 5/- but the last printed imperial label was 12/- I think about fifteen years later. The Standard Rockets size 20? were 5/- in the 50's and went to 7/6d in the early 60's then 10/- onwards and upwards until decimal prices came in at 60p then 75p then sizes

Pyro Pete likes this.
  9. I've got nothing to add to this fantastic thread, I just wanted it to be on page 1 not buried away on page 4. New users or guests could possibly miss out and that would be a great shame.

Sparkler likes this.
  10. Air Bomb King

Air Bomb King Lord Of Noise Supports UKFR

Great idea 321 Zero.

I'll be adding some pic to this everyone, just stand by whilst I get my camera phone issues sorted (a new phone) next week!

11. Here is another one then

Attached Files:

Mixologist likes this.
  12. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

It's nice trawling through the old posts and even though this going back some, I'll give you my thoughts.

Standard's Harlequin fountain used to produce molten slag that oozed and dripped. It used a glitter formula and glitter fountains are renowned for spewing hot slag. It's quite a tricky effect to get to work as a fountain because the molten slag needs to be airborne for it to react with atmospheric oxygen before it flashes. These droplets are called 'spritzels' and are mostly used in glitter star formulas for shells and candles. the effect requires interaction with oxygen in the air to complete it's cycle.

So, I would say that your memory most likely serves you correctly with the lava effect. We use cat4 glitter gerbs that ooze slag. There was a cone made by a company that was actually called 'Molten Lava'. No idea who but the old bloke in the local joke shop loved to keep all his really old dummies for a wonderful window display, a lot of them sun bleached. I always remember seeing that cone year after year. It had a pre-decimal price printed on the label and this was mid 80's. He loved fireworks that guy and I think he took a shine to me as he always chucked a free box of bangers and sparklers in with my Nov 5th pocket money stash.

13. Jamie Thornton

I remember the glitter effect that you describe spot on that standard used, very unique in effect, you don’t see anything like it these days, those were the days.

14. good post timberbox , I have to say , when I was a lot younger , I had a bad night out with a spewing hot slag ! lol

15. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Was her name Harlequin?

Known more commonly as Harlet?

16. you knew her as well then !

17. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Who doesn't! Think we've all had a dose of the blue touchfever...

18. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

I remember those tiny Cauldron cones burning with a bright aluminium spark effect. Not too different from a Snowstorm. Possibly with a different coloured flame though. Was a long time ago. I can't remember any molten slag with them and I burned loads of Standard slecky boxes back in the day. Was a long time ago mind. I remember none of the Cauldron cone cases ever survived the burn. All that was ever left was a round base of charred sawdust and resin.

19. a few standard fireworks did the same effects as you have described on your post .
    I remember , volcanos spewing lava down the sides , there was never much left of the cone when it finished .

20. timberbox , you sound like you lived a long time ago, in a different world . lol