Fireworks from the past

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Andy_P, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Like I say, it was a long time ago. let a lot of stuff off since then but I also remember the lava effect on quite a few fountains, intentional or not. I've probably got way too much time on my hands today, trawling through all the old posts looking at all the pics of old stuff. I reckon you're right. Standard fountains did seem to be quite samey samey with a few distinct exceptions.

2. Sparkler

Sparkler Supports UKFR

From what I remember the jewelled pyramid spewed out a lot of lava whilst the Vesuvius cones not so much

3. Standard Mount Vesuvius was a white fire pretty much the same as Snow Storm, well the early 90’s one I fired on Wednesday was. Damaged label so it was a mercy killing.

Sparkler likes this.
  4. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Knew it was. Did you film it?

5. One of cones, either Volcano or Pyramid, had a transformation to the Snow Storm composition at the end of its burn. I can’t remember which one. Jewel Pyramid was a glitter effect. Rising Sun was gold charcoal to “electric”. Inferno was a brilliant aluminum effect, and quite impressive for such a tiny cone.
    Does anyone remember Brock’s Continental Erupting Vesuvius, that was a good ‘un!

Sparkler likes this.
  6. Sparkler and Jamie Thornton like this.
  7. Jamie Thornton

Jamie Thornton Supports UKFR

Stunning effect, shame the camera was a little out of focus, was it one of the little red and green ones found in the B, C, D and E boxes of the early 90s or the slightly larger blue one that came in the F and diamond boxes?.

8. 7B79B219-4C97-4045-9E14-3FA0D82DBA7E.jpeg
    It was from an early C box - this was the little fella.

9. Jamie Thornton

Yes, they were inside the Size B boxes, C boxes , D aerial boxes and the E boxes, these type were from 1990 to 1992 and had quite an impressive effect for such a small mine has seen in the video and I also recall from back in the day as I had a few of the selection boxes with them in.

Sparkler likes this.
  10. Nearly all the cone fireworks had that lava effect, the Pains and Wessex ones definitely did as all that was left was the bottom as they completely burned away, i particularly liked the Wessex "Mount Stromboli" and the Pains "Mount Eiger" which both produced a very strong white spray which rose quite high and burned with a very bright intensity, talking about small mines, who remembers the Standard "Jackpot"?, another fantastic little firework that ejected bright yellow stars and gold.

Sparkler and Jamie Thornton like this.
  11. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Was this from one of those "glued in" display boxes Kev came across just recently?

I totally remember that Jack-in-the-Box just as the vid shows. Last time I lit one of those I was about 12. I had it stashed away somewhere to save after bonfire night but when we got back home from my Auntie's (the whole street where she lived came out with their fireworks and had a big bonfire on a scrap of land where the street ended. All blue touchpaper days) i just had to let it rip. It was just me and my mam and she got a big surprise when the whole pot went and said "ooh that's nice" haha. Sticks in my head that one.

Any more vids of old stuff?

12. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

i don't see those Jackpots very often, remember letting them off in the day
    JACKPOT.jpg

Peter Mackett and Jamie Thornton like this.
  13. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Love that old print look. All imperfect and quite often off-line or skewed positioning of the plates. I wonder of there is a computer program that can replicate that kind of thing? Old labels are the best.

14. There’s a few on one of my old posts including a Standard Golden Zodiac and a Pain’s cone. I set loads of stuff off if I have duplicates, I don’t care and I enjoy it.

15. 25D9845D-AC0C-4BC3-82B9-4570B264049B.jpeg
    Here’s one, it was a great volcano

16. I think this old safety film shows a continued Vesuvius

17. Jamie Thornton

Thats what you call a fountain, absolutely stunning, got to love the anticipation when the blue touch was lit and then bursts into action, wonderful stuff.

18. Yes that’s the one. With Richard Briers too...

standard steve likes this.
  19. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

I always wondered what that Witches Cauldron did. It was pictured as a center piece in a lovely display photo on one of Stanfard's brochures along with loads of rockets and set pieces. 1991 brochure I think.

Anyone remember seeing one go up?

20. Witches Cauldron was a fountain: green with a silver aluminium spray. A nice piece. Wonderful label too.

Tinderbox likes this.