FIRING OF OLD PYRO

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Standardlass, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Traditional sky rocket here:

Joe Ciabatti and simonrl like this.
  2. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

That looks like a classic Standard large rocket..large lifting motor ..going on and on and a relatively dissapointing star burst.The recording looks recent so I doubt anybody would actually fire one these days..far too valuable!!
    The Standard type ..they were some of the most impressive looking fireworks of their day in their live unfired condition....undoubtedly..
    Thanks for showing.

3. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Yes, it does look like an old Standard rocket. The video is recent and fortunately the rocket is not vintage or a collector's item so panic ye not. No collectables were burned during the making of this movie.

I have another, slightly more impressive video of a traditional rocket. Uploading just now...

4. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

nother traditional style sky rocket. Please bare in mind these are not "old pyro" but they are very very similar in their performance to the old Standard rockets as Richard points out.

Firefiend likes this.
  5. Richard Lane

Phew ..that's a relief!!... the second rocket too... very like the Standard variety..and it had a very similar star load to the old 'Tadpoles' great stuff...

6. The first one was very like the Streamer Stars in the old Standard Sky Rockets,i agree the second did look like the tadpoles effect.

7. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Nice aren't they. More appealing to me than the regular mass produced Chinese rockets of today with their heads full of flash. In fact these were manufactured in Europe for pro' displays. Not available to the public which is unfortunate but then people would complain of these having poor performance as Joe Blogs is basically just after a big bang and happy with crackle in absolutely everything. They wouldn't appreciate the grace and beauty of these.

8. I watched that thinking the effect was actually rather better than the Standard rockets I remember (early 80s until the first plastic Lumar and Mega rockets). The effect - as I remember - was always rather more random, stars with no real form in the way that glitter rocket had.

Also, no glowing rocket motor - still attached to the stick - plunging vertically to the ground at terminal velocity.

I remember a finale rocket we had - Size 20 Snowflake & Red Star, it was a wee bit disappointing. I thought the chain of stars parachute rockets were a bit disappointing too. I’ve got both those rockets in my collection now, and ain’t firing them! It’s a long time ago, but the Size 12 and 15 always seemed to give more bang for the buck, and I remember some great effects from those, particularly the discharging tadpoles and discharging shrapnel rockets.

They did all have absolutely awesome lifts offs though :)

On the subject of Lunar Rockets, the first year they came in I recall two exploding on the ground. Bits of plastic flying everywhere.

9. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

They were much more impressive in real life of course! Videos don't do them much good.

10. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

These things were almost as tall as me and I'm 6'1". It was windy as hell as we were out on an expanse of commons in the middle of nowherel Probably buried themselves deep in the boggy ground afterwards. Wouldn't fancy getting whacked by one. Bit heftier than the biggest things you get in a shop. I listened for the "thumps" but just too windy as you can tell.

simonrl likes this.
  11. Can’t find a thumbs up smilie, but they sound awesome :)

A size 15 or 20 hit out flat roof once and put a dent in it. Even at that size they came down with a thump!

Firefiend likes this.
  12. Richard Lane

IMG_2478.JPG IMG_2483.JPG IMG_2485.JPG IMG_2488.JPG IMG_2487.JPG IMG_2479.JPG IMG_2481.JPG These Rockets are a big piece of the pyrotechny history jig saw...I've posted these before..from my collection but this seems an ideal opportunity to reprise them...here's a few of Standard's best.... IMG_2478.JPG IMG_2483.JPG IMG_2485.JPG IMG_2488.JPG enjoy...

Pyro Ed, Firefiend, geoff and 8 others like this.
  13. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Beauties. All of them. Are there any descriptions on their labels giving a clue of their individual effects/performances? I can read a couple like: Chain of Stars, Snowflake, Coloured Stars.

I was an 80's child. Born '77 but my firework era is 80's 90's. Lucky enough to be here whilst some of the great British manufacturers were still knocking out blue touch paper stuff. A few of your rockets I remember seeing in shops but the vast majority look like before my time. I did buy one of those flat topped cylinder shaped rockets by Standard. It was green paper with a blue flat top. No idea what it did as I was probably about 8 years old. My main recollection of Standard rockets are those with the grey/silver plastic heads which contained a teaspoon of blackpowder and some pressed/pumped stars. They rattled like maracas if you shook them. They had lovely glitter and dangly cascading effects and came in various sizes. Some had green or red or blue plastic heads. No flash bursts. Just gentle bouquets like the rockets in my videos.

14. Jamie Thornton

Jamie Thornton Supports UKFR

Heres my two beauties, a standard size 12 with animated stars and a size 20 with red and snowflake stars.

Attached Files:

TONYB likes this.
  15. Always nice to see the old Standard Sky Rockets,i still have a few in my collection,so glad i kept them,have three of the parachute chain ones and two snowflake and red stars,also size 15 shrapnel,snakes and whistles and tadpoles,size 12 snowflake and rubies and emeralds and a size 9 electric stars,in reply to Tinderbox,yes,the description of the effect is on all of the rockets,never came across the size 20 whistles one though,i have quite a few fired ones that i picked up over the years,they came down whole!

16. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Yes, I would expect the cone just sort of pops off when the header blows and all the contents spill out rather that getting blown to bits.

17. Richard Lane

The reason for the quite unassuming end to the Standard Big Rockets' flight..the quite weak star burst was that Standard relied on the simple ignition of the star load within the confined space of the nose cone...to pop the cap and bindings and project the contents into space.Sometimes the nose cone would be loaded with a scattering of black powder to add to the ejection force.
    The parachute chains etc used to..I gather..have a small dedicated popping charge to eject the contents in such a way so as to not run the risk of setting the paper parachutes on fire..with dissapointing consequences!!

18. Richard Lane

IMG_4952.JPG
    They sure do...here's a couple of examples in one piece!!!

geoff and Peter Mackett like this.
  19. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Here's another. This was a very fine vibrant yellow glitter. Again, camera does no justice.

Peter Mackett likes this.
  20. Richard Lane

Lovely stuff....:p