Firing Systems - Overkill? (Quick question)

Discussion in 'Firing Systems And Fusing Fireworks' started by deans6571, Nov 7, 2016.

1. K9Girl

K9Girl Batteries not included Supports UKFR

2. K9Girl

Having read that properly............DONT do that, always leave the shroud on if youre going into a tube, visco to ematch connectors is a good safe place to start ;)

wilkins1kc likes this.
  3. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

...so back to my original question then as I'm a complete noob with these systems, as it hasn't been answered!

@Wireless Fireworks Thoughts?

4. K9Girl

Yes, an ematch will light safety visco as long as you have taken a few simple precautions ;)

deans6571 likes this.
  5. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

And could you connect, say, 4 or 5 consumer match igniters, in series, up to a line of 4 or 5 rockets?

6. K9Girl

Yes, or run fuse to all of them and only use 1 ignitor :)

deans6571 likes this.
  7. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

...how would you then waterproof a single thin line of fuse - would you just wrap it in clingfilm or just tape around it (would the fuse still burn if it was taped up)?

Da Main Mouse likes this.
  8. Krony

Krony Supports UKFR

Foil

Da Main Mouse and deans6571 like this.
  9. SydB

SydB Supports UKFR

I have found the fitting of visco to a consumer ematch in this way to be unreliable. I prefer the visco touching the pyro part of the igniter.

10. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

...are you able to expand on that - why is it unreliable?

Da Main Mouse likes this.
  11. Da Main Mouse

Da Main Mouse Supports UKFR

As mentioned,foil,foil tape are best.if anything fuse will burn faster contained as its own heat speeds it up.
    I also have had problems,iicant explain why,sometimes they just dont light visco? now I use either the match straight in the tube or if advising others use a primer on the visco in the form of tapematch or quickmatch to ensure positive ignition to the visco.

deans6571 likes this.
  12. K9Girl

Generally the outer of the green visco is there to not burn easily, to protect the inner core. If you snip the end of the visco at 45 degres then loop it throught the top hole then stick it into the end of the ignitor it will be much more reliable than in the picture :)

SydB, deans6571 and Da Main Mouse like this.
  13. K9Girl

My rocket volleys this year were fused with tape match covered in packing tape, all worked perfetly and ignition was near instant across the board :)

14. Andy Dighton

Andy Dighton Supports UKFR

Also use tape match for rocket volleys.

K9Girl likes this.
  15. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

Would Talon igniters be more reliable then + can these be connected in Series?

16. Jon

Jon Pro Firer/Crew

Talons should always be wired in parallel!

deans6571 likes this.
  17. SydB

SydB Supports UKFR

Talons don't have the burn time latency characteristic of a pyro igniter: a pyro igniter will usually start ignition of its little bit of pyro well before it goes open circuit, unlike a Talon, which is vaguely the same thing but without the bit of pyro. At least, I think that's why they are less reliable in series. I would say Talons are unlikely to ever be more reliable than pyro igniters; they are more fiddly and don't have the same amount of igniting burn mass so are less likely to burn through visco. For me, their only advantage is safety from the point of view of handling/transport regs and having no chance of being set off by static or friction (of which there is a perceivable chance for a pyro igniter).

18. deans6571

deans6571 Supports UKFR

...ok, so taking everything into account above, I guess the consumer match igniters then are the way to go with a first wirelsss system - at least they can be connected in Series.

So I would now have to cut the visco on all cakes in order to expose the inner core, which begs the question - does all firework viscos have an inner core?

19. SydB

SydB Supports UKFR

All visco is a sheath around some pyro powder. Burn rates vary. Thicknesses vary. Colours vary. Have a look at some - flex the end and you will see little bits of black powder start falling out. The end of visco on a firework is sometimes painted to stop powder falling out the end. When you've had a go at ematch to visco, you might get curious about what the visco might connect to... but you should become familiar with visco first.

Beware that not everything that looks like visco is slow burn fuse. Some instant ignition fuse looks a bit like visco. Always test fire a bit on its own first if at all unsure. Don't worry too much, though; all consumer fireworks will have a slow bit of fuse to light first.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    deans6571 and Da Main Mouse like this.
  20. @deans6571 i used consumer ematch igniters hooked up to have a go at a pyromusical i like yourself am a noob when it comes to firing systems but with some questions that were answered here all went well.
    i use the Consumer-Match.jpg method of doing things.i also used several fireworks wired in series into one cue.
    out of everything in the musical only one consumer ematch failed to ignite out of 26. but the firework then failed to perform correctly but the effect was acttually quite nice.
    ill leave this here so you can see how i did with a firing system or two from @Wireless Fireworks the 4 cue box sets are great.

deans6571 likes this.