Fusing consumer fireworks for electric firing

Discussion in 'Fusing Guides, Video And Tutorials' started by K9Girl, Nov 9, 2015.

1. I get what you're both saying...everything is open to interpretation I guess. Don't want to cause any arguments.

2. SydB

SydB Supports UKFR

No arguments, just ambiguous small print.

3. K9Girl

K9Girl Batteries not included Supports UKFR

I don't link cakes like that, I invested in a 32 cue firing system so I have 1 cake 1 cue. You can use visco from one to the other if you choose, but punching holes in tubes is not recommended if you don't know what you're doing.

My advice, but a multi cue firing system thats expandable. You'll have it for years, and be safer. :)

4. Or pick up a single que remote system for emergencies like adding in an extra cake?

5. Ok thanks for your advice.

Any other question... @K9Girl Your guidebis for fusing cakes. Is it possible to do a similar process with rockets for immediate ignition?

6. SydB

SydB Supports UKFR

My advice is to read up on rockets and you should learn the answer yourself. There is a good cross section diagram and info here on this USA web page:
    http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/intro-to-rockets.asp

Feasibly it is possible to stick quickmatch or similar around the fuse but you must always check that nothing will keep the rocket tethered to the ground (e.g. quickmatch jacket is often intact after firing so if you tape to it you might be stopping your rocket from launching and it may explode at ground level, which is not usually a good thing).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    deans6571 likes this.
  7. K9Girl

I would just go with fast visco, attach the green rocket visco to the fast at close to the entry into the rocket as you can, either tape or tiny zip ties (what I use) them securely, then either hand light or e fire. Just make sure all the rockets can properly rise. Make yourself a rocket rack, you'll get years of usage.......and much fun.

Using thus method I get 10 hawks in the air within a few seconds of each other. :)

deans6571, Bucksend and Andy Dighton like this.
  8. RocketRev

RocketRev Moderator Supports UKFR

This picture shows a set of rockets on one of my rocket racks fused up with quickmatch. The photo's in this feature in UKFR features archive http://www.firework-review.org.uk/features/dorset3/index.htm from more than 10 years ago. I was taught how to fuse with quickmatch specifically for this rocket launch, so shows my first bit of quickmatch fusing - and it all worked perfectly.

[​IMG]

Fasten a length of quickmatch to the top bar on the rocket rack. Here I used parcel tape between the rocket tubes. (Quickmatch flails around and could pull away from the rocket fuses if not fastened down. Do the fastening to the rack, not the rockets or their fuses.) Cut small slits in the quickmatch next to each rocket tube - just big enough to easily poke the rocket's fuse through. Load the rocket into its tube and push the rocket's fuse into the slit in the quickmatch, making sure it's in contact with the actual black fuse composition and not tucked away into a fold in the paper of the quickmatch instead. Let the rocket fuse sit loose in the quickmatch - don't fasten it in with tape or anything. I've always made sure that the firework's fuse is pointing towards the end of the quickmatch that you're going to light. If the firework's fuse tip has been coated with sealant (usually like a white paint), I cut that tip off. I recommend taping up the end of the quickmatch that you're not going to light - that's so there's no exposed black compound to get lit by stray sparks earlier than you planned!

If you're firing electrically you can put the ignitor in one end of the quickmatch and tape it up to protect the quickmatch from stray sparks. If you're firing by hand, I recommend putting a short length of visco or pic fuse in the end of the quickmatch that you are going to light - that's to give you time to stand back out of the way of the rocket rack, clear of anything bursting at head height if the rocket fails to lift off. Slip a protective cover over the visco or pic to protect it from stray sparks. I use fuse covers kept from shells etc from professional displays I've crewed on, but some publicly available retail fireworks have the same sort of covers on them, too. They're usually a snug fitting cardboard tube, often plastic coated (you can use parcel tape) to make them rain water resistant and a bit more spark resistant. Remove the cover just as you go to light the fuse.

Krony, PyroBoris, pablo and 6 others like this.
  9. Hi all

Is there a way of getting instant ignition into candles eg shanghai or celtic hong Kong? Cant seem to find anything on it.
    Thanks
    Michael

10. I'm almost certain you can't with Shanghai going off the two or three I've still got lying around, and I am under the impression Hong Kongs are the same. Not sure about other candles on the market though.

11. hofnerite

hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

You can get down to around 3 seconds by stuffing black match as far down the top of the tube as you can and in contact with the visco. There's still a few cm of visco that is hidden though so no way to have instant on those.

K9Girl likes this.
  12. K9Girl

I've used @hofnerite method for Shanghai's for a couple of years now, always reliable but like he says, a few seconds delay is enevitable;)

13. hofnerite

hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

The only issue with this method is that consumers can no longer get hold of blackmatch! :(

14. K9Girl

True:mad:

15. K9Girl

Tapematch could be used I guess:)

hofnerite likes this.
  16. Damp Squib

Damp Squib Supports UKFR

Yup, and it works a treat. As it does with rockets...

The non-availability of quick to the non-pro community makes @RocketRev's post limited as to who can use his method. As a matter of interest, though, what is to stop the visco being blown out of the match if it is not secured in some way? And isn't leaving a load of open slits in quickmatch increasing the risk of spark ignition?

17. Andy Dighton

Andy Dighton Supports UKFR

Also using tapematch on candles.