GOLDEN LATTICE, 80P - 1972

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by standard steve, Nov 7, 2019.

1. jww

jww

One can only look on in wonder at the amount of work in this item - just even counting the components, staples, tape, label, wood, tubes, nosings, even clove hitches ! - it's just *amazing* such items were ever manufactured - not to mention the packaging, transport and stock holding challenges ! Wow - thanks for a great photo reminding us of the amazing Standard Fireworks and the even more amazing folks who toiled away for so many days building these remarkable items. JW.

2. hofnerite

hofnerite UKFR Stash Photo 2018 Winner! Supports UKFR

I'd loved to have done a display in those days, so much creativity in those set pieces. Thanks for sharing.

standard steve likes this.
  3. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

A few of their set pieces
    IMG_0901.JPG

4. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

All that for 80p. You can see they have 'crimped' chokes by the way the yellow wrapper has taken form around them.

5. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Ai, but back in day 80p were a weeks wages..........
    which leads me onto

TerenceFawkes likes this.
  6. that's killed the post kevin ! lol.
    it was a lot of brass back then, my bus fair to school then was 3p each way . also for 80p , just look at the airbomb repeaters I could get for that !

7. hofnerite

According to an inflation calculator, 80p in 1972 is about £14 in today's money. I'd definitely get one for that! ;)

Pyro Pete and standard steve like this.
  8. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

No way you will have paid to get to school, bet you walked and pocketed the fare........ lol.

9. Sandling Fireworks

Sandling Fireworks Pro Firer/Crew

An awful lot of work for a rather disappointing setpiece I recall.

Pyro Pete likes this.
  10. jww

jww

Interesting point. I think set pieces in their historical context would be more interesting, but once neon signs, fancy shop lights etc. appeared, the set piece might have been rather pedestrian by comparison. In the gloomy nights of far gone days, think it would still have been quite jolly to see so much fire and spark abound !?! JW.

standard steve likes this.
  11. lol , yes I did kevin, it added up by the end of the week ! 30p . 3x blister packs of bangers or one repeater .
    canny Yorkshire lad ! couldn't do that these days .

12. when you look at what you can buy today , yes all fireworks from the 70s where disappointing , its horses for courses !
    im glad it survived though , find another . its a good point of reverence , well for us collectors . I was too young to buy at the time or
    remember it , lol . honest !

13. hofnerite

I really hope one day your set pieces, wheels, pigeons will become available again.

Pyro Pete and Jamie Thornton like this.
  14. Jamie Thornton

Jamie Thornton Supports UKFR

It was about the uniqueness in the effects though, the glittery effects etc,
    you don’t see anything like it in the modern stuff, mostly snap, crackle and pop
    these days.

jww and fozzboy like this.
  15. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Thanks for posting this @standard steve

Maybe the new UK-based classifications that I assume will replace CE after Brexit will allow some scope to have some of this type of pyro back?

16. hofnerite

Fingers crossed. After all set pieces are among the safest, lowest noise fireworks so no excuse not to allow them again.

Tinderbox and jww like this.
  17. Tinderbox

Tinderbox Pro Firer/Crew

Sandling still offer Lanceworks with gerbs...

18. blackbat

blackbat Pro Firer/Crew Supports UKFR

It was the exposed quick match that was the issue, as I understand it, so that would need to be allowed again.

19. hofnerite

Exposed QM is an issue under CE but can be taped down so it can't easily be accidentally lit. Lots of items still have QM on the outside it's just now covered with a label/tape/paper. Others like Benwell's Blue Moon wheel has QM between tubes and has passed CE somehow. o_O

The issue with set pieces as far as I know is that after construction they would need to be CE tested as the device is now different from the sum of its parts and it's not worth companies doing this because they sell so few of them they'd never get their return back.

blackbat likes this.