Homebrew Wired Trigger

Discussion in 'Firing Systems And Fusing Fireworks' started by Fawke Handles, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Just finished a simple DIY wired trigger for my Rhinofire Step 13. I couldn't have done it without @Pyromagic who gave me the idea (and shopping list), then talked me through it when I kept wiring it incorrectly :oops::D

As you can see it has an illuminated on/off power button and a trigger button which lights a small LED when pressed. Total cost was just under £15. Although I did have to replace a button that I melted with the soldering iron :eek::D

2018-09-25 08.47.11-1.jpg
    2018-09-25 08.46.01-2.jpg

Deflagration, Ozzieuk, Jon and 5 others like this.
  2. as you are only using it as a trigger this probably doesn't matter so much, but using an illuminated switch when powered on
    will reduce the current supplied by a small amount and reduce battery life if left on by accident.
    (I presume an led is in the power switch, if so this drain will be minimal)

nice job ! where did you get the box ?

Fawke Handles likes this.
  3. I've only tested over a short distance of a few cm so far. I did have an issue with the led draining the current when it was wired in sequence which meant the step 13 didn't receive enough to trigger it, but once I changed that it triggered fine. Hopefully it will do over longer distances!

This is the case I bought. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/263819622820

4. Been thinking of making something similar for my WPS system but struggled to find a suitable case so thanks for that link!

What are the power outlet terminals actually called? Trying to find those is also somewhat of a pain and your ones look ideal.

Thanks

5. JoshH likes this.
  6. Tested successfully :) I reeled out 30m+ of wire and set the Step 13 to 1s equal cues, with 3 ematches attached to the first 3 cues. I've added a green LED to the Step 13 so that I can get a visual cue of it having been triggered.

Jon, Ozzieuk, wob 196 and 3 others like this.
  7. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Nice one :)

:nicesystem:

8. wilkins1kc

wilkins1kc Pro Firer/Crew

I like that green LED....nice to have the visual confirmation

9. Ozzieuk

Ozzieuk Pro Firer/Crew

Every time I see people’s builds it always gives me a boost to keep building things.
    From one button single cue firing systems to ones with lots of buttons and leds and cue indicators.
    The only thing I struggle with is time.
    Not lack of ideas.

10. Really nice. Got a link for all the items you bought. Might throw one together for some testing

11. Locky Smith and mikeG like this.
  12. wilkins1kc

wilkins1kc Pro Firer/Crew

Is the Green LED on the Step 13 just wired across the trigger terminals?

13. Jon

Jon Pro Firer/Crew

wire it parallel across the output, if you were wire it in series you would restrict the trigger current to a few tens of miliamps.

14. How simple would it be to safely put a fat capacitor in this to make it a blaster type initiator?

15. Yes it is.

wilkins1kc likes this.
  16. Absolutely. Especially when you consider the official trigger is over £80! That one has a continuity tester but still... :eek:

Jon likes this.
  17. That’s not had too add. I would have thought about doing dual 9v in series so 18v. I’ve ordered the bits.

18. Keep us posted, I'd be interested to see how that's done. That said, with my green led on the step 13 I can get a continuity check by pressing my remote trigger.

19. You mean the countinity tester?