Hornet or wasp nest in storage container

Discussion in 'Professional Fireworks' started by Mathew Griffiths, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Mathew Griffiths

Mathew Griffiths Pro Firer/Crew

So lately I’ve noticed a few large wasps in the corners of one of my containers, about 30 or 40,
    , ignored it and killed them so far but each time we go to pull a display there are more and I’m sure they are thinking of making a nest... obviously they are getting in through the vents anyone else experienced the same issue? Seems a strange time of year I’d expect it in spring ( ps im a bee keeper but bees are so much easier to manage)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  2. Pyromania

Pyromania Pro Firer/Crew

Are they really sleepy/dozy? I’d expect them to be hiding away for winter about now (especially with how mild it’s been of late).

I used to have a workshop where they would hibernate through the winter - but they didn’t tend to all stick together and build a nest, they would hide individually in all sorts of weird and wonderful places - which was a bit of a shock when you picked certain things up, or opened boxes and a big old hornet was laying there staring back at you!!

Mathew Griffiths likes this.
  3. Mathew Griffiths

Yep that’s it... all still and no movement until I spear them with a screw driver anyway... they all seem to Be placed in different places

4. Charlie

Charlie Pro Firer/Crew

Queens hibernating. For every one killed, one less nest next year

5. alasdar

alasdar Pro Firer/Crew

Are there many beekeepers on here?

6. Charlie

Charlie Pro Firer/Crew

Ex beekeeper here. Had 8 National hives.

Mathew Griffiths likes this.
  7. SwissTony

SwissTony Pro Firer/Crew

8. Flare Path

Flare Path Supports UKFR

You may Joke, but this is the only way to solve this problem.

9. Charlie

Charlie Pro Firer/Crew

10. Mathew Griffiths

yep.. Thats pro advice right there!! I have found out they are queen wasps herbernating for the winter, I’m sucking up the courage to tackle them this week!

Flare Path likes this.
  11. Bucksend

Bucksend Supports UKFR

I'd advise against this approach in a pyro storage container! :areyousure:

12. starseeker

starseeker Pro Firer/Crew

Always find it a bit sad that peoples first reaction is kill the bastards ,could you not collect them up and find a old building etc to relocate them to ?
    Wasps are also in decline ,probably for this reason , wasps and hornets (not the asian hornet ) are very beneficial in eating aphids etc .

blackbat, alasdar and Pyro Pete like this.