How do you cut fuse?

Discussion in 'Fusing Guides, Video And Tutorials' started by Wireless Fireworks, Oct 16, 2011.

1. I think Tiltman brought up a great question earlier today on another thread (which is already half way down the second page -busy,busy!)

With the risk of sparking from ordinary scissors, for those who do a lot of fusing - How do you cut your QM or other fuse?

I think it'll be good to hear from the pros what they do. It'll educate those starting to look into fusing.

So, how do you cut yours?!

2. Pyro Pete

Pyro Pete Forum Editor

Yes it would be good to establish some "good practices", thanks for starting the thread :)

3. Arthur

Arthur Pro Firer/Crew

Clean sharp scissors for fuse, or perhaps a Staples Letter Opener (sharp blade onto a plastic piece)

4. Mixologist

Mixologist Pro Firer/Crew

Non Sparking Scissors and nips - cost a bit more but well worth it for peace of mind :)

5. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

stanley or irwin sidecutters:D

6. Andy_P

Andy_P Pro Firer/Crew

Again, there has been LOADS of discussion about this in past topics...

Here's a quick roundup...

Some use ordinary side or end cutters/nippers
    Some say that you shouldn't use anything that squeezes the quickmatch or fuse so recommend something that cuts with a scissor action (like scissors!)
    Some say you shouldn't use anything made of a metal that could spark so recommend only brass scissors.
    Some say you shouldn't even use those and recommend (or insist on) only very sharp knives (such as Stanley "the Nack" or craft knives)

Personally, I was taught to only use sharp craft knives, but when I look at my fellow firers, these days I think I'm in a minority that do it that way and scissors or nips seem popular (I still shudder when I see them being used, but I've never ever seen any accidents caused by the practice).

7. SussexPyroBoy

SussexPyroBoy Pro Firer/Crew

I'm no Pro, just an enthusiastic amateur. But I use a snap off blade trimming knife from Wickes, and cut on a wooden block. At 81p a go you can always keep a few handy and it doesn't matter if they get trodden on or broken :)

Attached Files:

8. Tiltman

Tiltman Supports UKFR

Anyone recommend where to get these scissors?

9. Signum

Signum Pro Firer/Crew

I guess one of the bottom line questions is:

..has anyone see a length of quick match ignite from using Scissors, Im not talking cutting igniters out etc, I'm talking a straight one action cut across a piece of QM?

10. Mixologist

Mixologist Pro Firer/Crew

11. GTATTY

GTATTY Pro Firer/Crew

I got my electrician's scissors from CEF (City Electrical Factors) Trade counter. I paid £6.45 inc vat with our tra
    de discount approx 3 years ago. Try EBAY;)

Graham:)

12. starpyro

starpyro Pro Firer/Crew

When i did cat 4 training- and ever since, we used either a sharp craft knife or scissors- never seen any problems with scissors personally!:)

13. vdm1875

vdm1875 Pro Firer/Crew

previously posted on an earlier thread -

We use these devices for cutting HE components like detonating cords. Also used for pyro items such as safety fuse etc. Has a guillotine action that wont pinch or trap and cause friction.

http://sa.rsdelivers.com/product/rs/...e/0722198.aspx

14. Andy_P

Andy_P Pro Firer/Crew

Here's the knife I was told was best to use on Quickmatch...

nackmetal.jpg

The handle contains a cartridge containing 15 double-ended blades which you can swap over without taking it apart, just by sliding a switch.
    Means you can use a blunt one for cutting cable ties etc, but always have a razor sharp one for cutting QM and fuse. the narrow point is great for slitting the paper sleeve of QM for jointing on the side or top face.

For a while they were hard to get in the UK, but you can now get the metal and plastic versions (and spare blade cartridges) by mail order from
    http://www.homgar.com/productdetails.php?productID=252&table=garden&categoryID=43

15. webcatcher

webcatcher Pro Firer/Crew

I have always followed the rule of never use anything that has blades that cross each other such as scissors or shears to avoid the risk of a spark. I know that the chances are remote but is it not best to remove all risk no matter how small as fusing means you are up close and at most danger. I personally use a good pair of diagonal cutters, the blades meet correctly and are sharp, replacing them as soon as they become dull.

16. Venger

Venger Pro Firer/Crew

I sent an e-mail enquiry to NST back in mail asking for details of any scissors they supply and have never received a reply grr...

Things like brass and ceramic scissors appear to be rarer than hen's teeth to locate :shakehead:

If you're using a craft / stanley knife don't you also have to carry something in the tool box to cut on - there's not much to lean on around the tubes ?

In terms of cutting at 90º across QM I use wire cutters (anvil type, not bypass), 'end-on' snips to make a neat/quick incision into the side of the QM paper cover and nail scissors to 'open up' the incision to allow for jointing.

These CK electrical scissors that have been mentioned today - are they 'nimble' enough for small incisions etc. ?

17. Phil40

Phil40 Pro Firer/Crew

Plus i'd need a good supply of plasters.....:blush:

that's why i use scissors (and i never run with them :D)

18. UGE

UGE

so ceramic scissors are a good bet?

19. dogsbody

dogsbody Pro Firer/Crew

its what I use (and my boss pinches mine when he cant find his!!

20. UGE

UGE