Large Brocks Mine Dummy

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Richard Lane, May 21, 2017.

1. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

IMG_3643.JPG IMG_3638.JPG IMG_3636.JPG IMG_3639.JPG IMG_3651.JPG IMG_3649.JPG IMG_3646.JPG Here we have probably one of the biggest mine dummies ever.It came from a source in the South East which I have been developing over some time now...remember the 1950's Brocks Rockets.
    Apparently this Mine dummy was displayed in a London store as a point of sale impact display item...there never was a live version...i believe ...but you never know!!
    It is a fabulous item...big..approx 7" (175mm) diameter x 14" (350 mm) in classic Brocks traditional cometic paper wrap with the typical labels.
    The upper one is of the Crystal Palace logo marked at 25/-..quite a sum for the 1950's..the lower is the Brocks circular device which was first introduced in the 1930's or thereabouts.One the rear is the Dummy label..which is occasionally found on non live fireworks.
    It really epitomises the period of best British pyro design in every way.

2. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Very nice............

3. lovely richard , the guinness looks good as well.
    thanks for posting .

4. Richard Lane

Thanks Steve...Guinness is good for you!!:pl

5. wonderful to see this...it must be too good to be true. IF it was available back in those wonder years it would have been Hamleys, Gamages, Selfridges or Harrods....

6. Richard Lane

Yes. I agree...I don't know if there ever was a live variant...but you never know...but I doubt it! My source not sure where it came from...
    .....It has to have been in a big department store such as the one s you mention.
    I remember as a child seeing these monster dummies in the larger stores ....always out of reach money wise!.

7. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Think you might find this of interest Richard
    See at about 1.50 in.

Kev

8. Richard Lane

Kev..Thanks...I've seen this video before...but you are quite right..the large mine at 1.50 mins is very like the one above...not quite as wide but about as tall....sooo...it appears that there were mines of similar size made by Brocks.....and as we said last evening ..the fact that there is a price on it presupposes that it likely that there was a live version...Fantastic!
    Richard

Pyro Ed likes this.
  9. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Richard.
    Thought you might like that, whilst not exactly the same it does show that they were being made at a later date and that would suggest they have made that size for a long time........ it had been bugging me after our conversation that I felt sure I had seen one or something like it being let off.......... now it bugs me that I have had / or have seen a Brocks item with the large circular label on it but so far can't find it in my database..........
    Kev

10. Richard Lane

Thanks Kev...keep,searching when you have a mo...I think that it might be in the black and white shop window shots from the 20's and 30's....I'll search as well.
    Richard

11. Richard Lane

Kev..
    He hehe ..Mike and Bernie Winters get in on the act!
    Some large mines here... IMG_3774.JPG

12. Richard Lane

...and another... IMG_3775.JPG

danielpyronutter likes this.
  13. Richard Lane

And another... IMG_3776.JPG

danielpyronutter likes this.
  14. RocketRev

RocketRev Moderator Supports UKFR

I enjoyed that video @Escht :).....
    Fascinating glimpse into a bygone era - not only the fireworks but also the tester standing so close with his stopwatch and no PPE!

15. Richard Lane

Yep..partic the tester so close ..to a mine!

16. In about 1962, in Australia, I recovered the burned-out case of a similarly sized Brock's mine after a firework display at the local drive-in cinema. The wrapper had the same pattern as this, but the background was red, where this one is green. The label did not have a price, just a letter code, and I cannot remember what it was. I do remember the name: 'Mine of Jeweled Cobras'. There were no other labels or stickers. This item, along with many other relics of the same display, was discarded a year or so later when we moved to a different house and I was encouraged to get rid of accumulated 'rubbish'.

17. Richard Lane

IMG_2059.JPG IMG_2947.JPG Oh gawd Bazza..what a shame..in hindsight ...having to get rid of the "rubbish"....if only we could have known what was to come in terms of interest and value.
    The price coding had just come in I believe ..around end of the 1950's..it was gradual due to the accumulated stock of labels and wraps.
    For my money ...the large Brocks fireworks were/ are some of the best of all examples of the wonderful times enjoyed in the good ole English firework glory years from the 20's to the 70's.
    They are bold , stylish , colourful...(not like some of the modern glitzy foil wrapped items found today)..and of very good quality....attached a couple of items from my collection to underscore the point.
    The wheel is BIG ....approx 800 mm in diameter ... sold as a retail item in the 30's thru til the 60's.....and the group of four barrages and mines exemplifies the state of the art.
    Just wish you still had the red mine..in the cometic paper which is one if the all time great wraps!...and what a label name "Mine of Jewelled Cobras".. fabulous!:p
    All hail Australia Fair!!
    Richard

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  18. Pyromania

Pyromania Pro Firer/Crew

Some absolutely beautiful pieces there @Richard Lane, definitely something to be proud of! :)

Richard Lane likes this.
  19. Richard Lane

Thanks Pyro....:)

20. Wonderful specimens, Richard! Thanks for showing them...
    If only I had kept that 'rubbish' that I mentioned. Here are some more recalled names from the debris of that 1962 display: Huge Golden Palm, Battery of Empire Roman Candles, Jewel Jets, Emerald Spray Rocket, Ruby Plume Rocket, Empire Rocket, Vertical Wheel. All Brock's. The rockets had turned wooden nose-cones, covered with blue paper. The first of these was discovered by accident, then prolonged searching yielded several more. There was an empty paddock next to the drive-in cinema that served as a fallout zone for the rockets and the nose-cones. I restored the rockets so that they looked like new. In those days matches came wrapped in blue paper of just the right texture and colour to make realistic-looking 'blue touch paper'. When time came to get rid of the 'rubbish' I gave the rockets to the boy who lived in the house over the back fence. He was sure that they were unfired, and would not believe me when I told him they were just mock-ups. No doubt he was disappointed when time came to set them off.

Richard Lane likes this.