Latest acquisitions....

Discussion in 'Fireworks Nostalgia, Collectables And History' started by Escht, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Pyro Ed

Pyro Ed Pro Firer/Crew

2. Richard Lane

Richard Lane Supports UKFR

Mmmm...Surrey black hole...apparently...isn't getting as much as it used to do!
    Nice finds Kev

3. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

It might be..... that's the problem, no one ever knows what is being sucked into it...... shame really for everyone including the owner of said black hole... but certainly not getting eberything by any means which is good news for everyone.
    Talking of which, anything from your nice supply of vintage pyro........... oh and whilst i think, have you moved base yet ?

4. Richard Lane

Mmmm that's the problem with the SBH...
    Re further supply of pyro from my source...yes something's coming in January..fingers crossed..
    Nope haven't moved yet..we are in a chain with a house in London belonging to the people who have bought our house...it's bloody Brexit tied no doubt...!!

5. Mystic Juggler

Mystic Juggler Supports UKFR

The Brocks box is a very nice find, Thanks for putting it up on the forum, pity the lid is a bit discoloured but im sure there is an empty better one out there too swap it for. You say part filled, what quantity do think is missing as there seems a nice selection there already.

6. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

The items inside don't add up to anything like 60d or 5/- that they should do, nearer to 30d or 2/-6 which makes me wonder if that is why the box has a thick layer of shavings in it......... similar story with another box I've seen.......... perhaps they just used 5/- boxes and put a sticker over the price to save on making new boxes, or maybe both boxes just happen to have had several missing and it's just coincidental.........

7. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Just taken delivery of the rest of the stuff from the previous bangers, rockets and mine source.......... very kindly dropped them around to the house this morning......
    Carton on left of picture has 10 blister packs in it, the other is a full carton of 12 blister packs.....Ground Mine is very nice, still in original plastic bag wrapper........ all early to mid 70's..........
    IMG_8279.JPG

Stuart, Pyro Ed, Blue devil and 6 others like this.
  8. Richard Lane

Nice hoarde chap..like the mine..but there again as you know I'm nuts about mines!!:po_O:)

9. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

You would love this then.......... came out of a cellar in the Ardennes many years ago...........

IMG_8281.JPG

10. I have one of those ground mines too, first time i have seen another one for ages!

11. Richard Lane

Das ist fantastic....shwere gut mien freund!!

12. Richard Lane

IMG_4369.JPG IMG_4370.JPG IMG_4368.JPG IMG_4372.JPG IMG_4373.JPG IMG_4367.JPG IMG_4362.JPG IMG_3636.JPG IMG_3643.JPG Here are a few mines of mine!....culminating in the massive Brocks beast.This is a dummy which I acquired some years ago.
    It was for sure found only in very big toy shops such as Hamleys.I believe it is the biggest retail mine ever sold in the 1950's and 60's..it's size can be guaged by the can of Guinness and the steel rule.
    In general they were on special order only ....maybe some of the very biggest retailers would have had them in stock.
    I'd love to see one fired!

13. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

I remember some of my early 70's trips into the Siegfried Line positions at Wahlerscheid Crossroads near to Elsenborn when we used to find old S mines that had been dug up and the igniters removed then just left where they were so that the casings rotted away ........... and the later concrete cased version.............. sometimes we would stumble across a teller mine, again dealt with but still containing the charge............ they have a completely different attitude to it all over there........ if they took our approach they would never get anything done............ there was just so much left after the battle.......... being forests they never bothered too much........ even today old foxholes are discovered where the clearance teams in the late 40's just chucked stuff in then covered them over with soil. I've come across foxholes with US Pineapple grenades just sat on the edge of the hole where they were abandoned in 1944/45............. the fields are where most stuff still lies..farmers just wanted to get back to work so threw everything into shellholes and mortar pits and covered them over.

Firefiend likes this.
  14. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Blimey, I knew had a few but not that many............

15. Richard Lane

Yeah. The yanks had a very very tough time in those woods...a whole division practically wiped out on one occasion...
    And the irony is they didn't need to go through those forests..they could have circumnavigated them...but the brass said 'in you go'!!!

16. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

That was the Hurtgen, which is a few miles north of the Ardennes......... the US Division was the 106th Inf. which was up on the Schwarzer Mann ridge which had 2 belts of bunkers, taken by the Yanks in Sept. 44...... first place that got hit on morning of 16th December 44............... 106th was a new unit straight out of training and put into the quiet sector known as the Ardennes where very little happened.......... stood their ground for 2 days then discovered the Germans were behind them and ended up withdrawing to woods above Schoenenbourg in Belgium where they got completely surrounded . Their C.O. put his HQ next to his first aid post........ saw at first hand what was happening to his men and decided to chuck the towel in. Biggest surrender of US troops in Europe....... some went against orders and legged it into the forests to fight a guerilla war. Led by a Captn Fisher Wood who was found after the battle surrounded by several dead German soldiers and his personal possesions still intact . The fact his wallet and pistol were still on him suggested that he took the Germans down with him . His grave marker is still to be seen deep in the forest if you know where to look. His battle caused the Germans many losses, supply trucks and carts just disappeared until the Germans sent in a large force to deal with him.........
    here endeth todays history lesson

Eric Fisher Wood memorial 30M.png

Firefiend likes this.
  17. Richard Lane

Amazing stuff..personal bravery against a cunning and skilful enemy..the Hurtgen was a bastard....

18. Gorgeous mine sign Escht. do you still have that sign?

19. Escht

Escht Supports UKFR

Yes, that photo was taken just a few days ago..........this is picture of the reverse side........ luckily it was in a building cellar and not an old barn ..had it been the latter it would have probably been full of insect holes...........
    It's the only wooden sign that I've ever found out there in nerly 40 yrs of finding stuff from that area........

Attached Files:

20. @Richard Lane ... what a stunning collection of mines! The huge Brock's Mine of Serpents that dwarfed the Guinness nearly gave me a palpitation. A true beauty!

TerenceFawkes likes this.