Lightning Protection

Discussion in 'Professional Fireworks' started by paul s, Mar 27, 2019.

1. paul s

paul s Supports UKFR

Another query!

Anybody had the 'need' to fit or found 'no need' to fit a LPS to an external, stand alone store?

2014 regs state that 'suitable lightning protection' should be installed in all stores. Should and must are distinctly different and again this seems to be at the behest of the TSO/Fire Service.

Would appreciate any first hand knowledge. :)

2. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

Different accepted types seem to be dependant on your areas TSO
    Some accept normal earthing stake and cable , others demand full copper strip protection which is very costly

paul s likes this.
  3. Illusion Fireworks

Illusion Fireworks British Firework Champions 2018 UKFR Sponsor

For the sake of £25 and 15 mins work it’s worth doing even if only to keep your TSO sweet :)

paul s likes this.
  4. paul s

paul s Supports UKFR

Colin, Karl....

can you elaborate? Trying to find a diy method to LPS is almost impossible, and LPS organisations are talking mega bucks for assessment, design and installation - which is beyond overkill for a small, additional store.

TSO is not pushing this too much, but he says the regs do state 'should be installed'.

The risk is almost zero, but if a diy method can be employed then it's a belt and braces.

Thanks

5. elmo

elmo Pro Firer/Crew

earth rod is available from screwfix and the likes, bang into ground, drill hole in bottom lip of container, remove paint with grinder so earth cable has good connection with container, and connect cable to rod with earth clamp

like Karl says, 15 mins work from any decent sparky who can then give you test sheet, :)

Firework Crazy and paul s like this.
  6. paul s

paul s Supports UKFR

That sounds like a doddle.

Cheers.

elmo likes this.
  7. Jon

Jon Pro Firer/Crew

I have known some TS to do earth resistant tests as part of the inspection.

8. Arthur

Arthur Pro Firer/Crew

First ask your licensing officer! They will define whether it's a requirement or not.

It's simple to find or fix a connector to the steel of a store, and cheap and easy to buy an earth rod from screwfix (etc) and the earth cable.
    Strangely my local B&Q sells the earth rods but NOT the connector for the cable!?!

Ask your licensing officer whether your DIY suggestion is acceptable or necessary.

9. starseeker

starseeker Pro Firer/Crew

And don't forget to earth the doors to the container.

10. Illusion Fireworks

Illusion Fireworks British Firework Champions 2018 UKFR Sponsor

Ours passed just from ground contact alone! But our TSO insisted on proper earthing anyway - like you say, he tested :)

Jon likes this.
  11. Pyro Ed

Pyro Ed Pro Firer/Crew

The irony of having to earth a Faraday cage...

Jon Coles, Jon and blackbat like this.
  12. Charlie

Charlie Pro Firer/Crew

Our TSO insisted and like others have said it's not hard to do.

IMG_0187.JPG

Jon, paul s and elmo like this.
  13. Jon

Jon Pro Firer/Crew

You should always ground a faraday cage otherwise a charge could build on the 'skin'.

14. Arthur

Arthur Pro Firer/Crew

Faraday cage or not, if your licensing officer says "earth it" then he's not likely to give you a licence without seeing and perhaps testing the quality of the earth connection.

Jon likes this.
  15. Dodgey

Dodgey Pro Firer/Crew

My TSOs haven't a clue. I just tell them what needs doing...

16. paul s

paul s Supports UKFR

Sadly, that seems to be case across all areas. At least my guy acknowledges his limited experience and is prepared to 'work with me' to achieve a sensible outcome - some are just obstructive. The lack of consistency in application and understanding of the regulations is attrocious really. The saddest part is that there never seems to be any progress as each query is addressed and resolved. A central 'think tank' for authorities to tap into would go a long way to ruling out many of these contradictions and personal opinions.

The case of the wood store contradiction is a classic case of no documented past ruling.

Pyromania likes this.